Tuesday 14 November 2017

We Can't Sit Idle.

After lulling around over the weekend, eating and drinking several friends out of house and home. It was, just like a plaque of locusts, time to move on, and move on I did.

Getting away from Brisbane's northern suburbs I planned a route that would take me via Bardon, Centenary, out through Forest Lakes and bring me out at the back of Browns Plains.

Hardly a road was pedalled on after I left Enoggera with the exception of a few back streets. Down through Ithica Creek Bikeway, up through Bardon and down onto the Centenary Bikeway. After here I followed footpaths and bikeways through Forest Lakes and pretty much all the way to Browns Plains, except one small section along Johnsons Rd until I could jump onto the path way.

Most of the way to Jimboomba was service road. Then from Jimboomba to Beaudesert was back roads and acreage suburbs, and some bloody big hills.

I knew I had atleast one hundred and thirteen kilometers to ride this day, so at no stage was there ever going to be a sprint session. It was all steady going all the way, with the times I was on the road motorists were extremely accommodating. There was one hero in a semi going the opposite way that called out obsenities. But he was going the other way, and it's easy to be a hero when you're going the opposite direction. Beside that one, all else was good.

There isn't much to report passing through Brisbane. I didn't get too caught up in the scenery as I was way to focused on following my navigation. But once I began out on The Mt Lindsay Hwy little suburban boxes gave way to pasture land, mountains and valleys.


I hit Jimboomba at around lunch time, and after buying a small amount of groceries just prior at...ahhh...ummm...ahhh, I thought I'd pull into the park and have a well earned coffee and a couple of salmon wraps, yes...tinned salmon.

I must've procastinated for around an hour before moving off, I still had a ways to go. After leaving I headed out a back way. My navigtion was going to take me off the highway, a good thing, and bring me right round to well south of Beaudesert. After the first section of back roads I opted to ride the last few kilometers along the main road into Beaudesert. I wanted to fill up on water as I didn't know what was up ahead. I'm glad I did as it was impossible to get down to the creek where I ended up camping.


After Beaudesert I launched it in Rathdoowney's direction. My planned stop for the night was Langdon Reserve at Tambrookum Creek. So out I pedalled, and I pedalled, and I pedalled...was this campsite ever going to appear.

Don't you hate that, you have a planned route, a planned stop and the amount of kilometers you are travelling. But somehow at the end of the day the campsite keeps moving with you.

The road was quite busy as well, with little to no shoulder. I'd say it was just the normal afternoon home time gabble, and I was caught in it. Everyone was pretty good so there are no complaints.

The scenery was changing, from little acerages to sprawling pasture lands, grazing properties and mountains, big mountains. Was I really going to attempt to pedal a loaded touring bike up them?

After several stops I eventually arrived at the place where I wanted to be, home sweet home...well for the night anyway. There was an older couple, grey nomads, camped there as well so I shuffled across to say a quick hello. Then it was time to set up camp and get some dinner on. The tent was up, a warm wash was had, a hot cup of tea was mellowing out the day (yes tea, I like it at the end of a hard day) and it wasn't long before the pasta was simmering in a camp made sauce that tasted sooo good.

It wasn't a late night, or atleast I thought it wasn't. The gentleman that was camping there came across earlier to invite me over for a cuppa and to sit by the fire. I had intentions of doing it, but by the time I finished my dinner and cleaned up I turned around and all the lights were out. Well I obliged and it wasn't long before it was lights out for me as well.

I tossed and turned quite a bit throughout the night. I've been sleping so well since I have been away, in tent, motels and friends places. This night was different. There was a bit of traffic and my matress was pumped a little too hard, plus it was kind of chilly, but it wasn't so to speak. I don't know...

Any way morning eventually came and it was difficult to get up. But get up I did. The billy was on, and breakfast was being devoured. After the one hundred and fifteen kilometer stretch the previous day I only had around sixty eight to do today. The good news was I only had one hill, the bad news, the hill was around forty four kilometers long.

I headed off around 8:30 am and then started the progresive climb up through Rathdowney to the summit of the Mt Lindsay Hwy. It wasn't really that bad, a gradual 1 - 3 % kept me spinning but it wasn't tiring. After all, the plan for the day was 'head down, bum up and spin like a phsycotic washing machine'.



The first twenty kilometers passed and the scenery became more breathtaking with every corner. The hill didn't seem that bad and considering that I had driven trucks up and down this stretch of road, I was thinking maybe they had a done a lot of work. But surely, it takes a lot of work to flatten out a hill.


Well it appeared it was just the oldtimers setting in and it wasn't long before I spied the notification. Urgh! It was time time to hit plan A, shit was about to get real. Most of the trip up was sitting at about 67 R.P.M. I didn't over do it, I just took my time. There were a couple of pinches that I decided to dismount and walk, but this was more for a stretch rather than tiredness.

I stopped plenty of times and I was in no rush, even though time was ticking away. I was hoping to be at the top around 12:30 pm, but ah well.

I reached the border around 1:00 pm, took some happy snaps and at 1195 mtrs I thought I was pretty much near the top. Well pretty much wrong there, wsn't I? It had been some years since being up this way and I forgot about the approxmate seven kilometer hike from the border to the Summerland Way Intersection.



Anyway I eventually made it, there was nothing left in the tank, the legs and taint were burning like and old Jonny Cash song and I was so glad to see the down hill run into Woodenbong. The best part of five kilometers without turning a pedal, heaven.

I needed a break, and I needed it bad. So I rolled into a servo that I knew sold food and the works burger was so huge that it will take me a week to digest. After eating, and a couple of drinks I knew I had sixteen kilometers to go, but in the end decided against it. I am now coserly set up in Woodenbong Caravan Park. Five dollars for a site with a hot shower, a short walk to the pub and a couple of beers. That was much more tempting than another sixteen kilometers of climbing. Can you blame me?

So as I said, I'm here in Woodenbong, the night air is chilling and the plan for some mexican style bean burritos will soon be happening. A couple more beers and I think I'll need my winter woolies for the night, damn, I dind't bring them...

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe.

Fn... I will edit this post and add photos in a couple of days. I have very limited data service where I am. It will not allow me to upload photos...




1 comment: