Saturday 1 September 2018

Freedom At Last!

The one thing I have always loved about riding is the freedom that comes with it. Unfortunately due to recent, and not so recent, events that freedom has gone astray. But thankfully those restrictive days are over as I now am able to get out and ride, and ride pain free.

My first ride was on Thursday of this week which also coincided with the beginning of week three recovery from the arthroscopy. It wasn't a hard ride and reasonably flat, but I managed to cover around 27.5 kilometers.

The elation I felt was remarkable. The joy of riding had once again been restored to me. I headed south out of town and did a half of the Clayton's loop, a popular loop among us recreational riders. I merely wanted to go out and test the waters and the good thing about the route I chose was that I could cut my ride short and get home at any given time.

But the knee held up, it didn't hurt and I was pain free all the way. I picked a great day to start back on the bike, the beginning of Magpie season, and a strong south easterly blowing. Magpie season lasts around six weeks at the beginning of spring whilst the birds are nesting. They become aggressive and very territorial at this point, and they have no problem with dive bombing from the heights and clipping your helmet as you ride by, or the odd ear lobe.

Day two I wanted to push the limits a little more. I decided on a ride to the coast and back, 48.5 kilometers in total. I headed out to Burnett Heads, a coastal village on the water's edge. I headed north following the Burnett River then up through the myriad of sugar cane and sweet potato fields that line the way. It's also lightly undulating along this way so it was a good tester.

I then headed up to the Port which is home to our Sugar Terminal. The terminal is where sugar is trucked from the mills, offloaded, then loaded onto ships. From here it was along via the marina around to the ocean front.

I arrived to my turn around point just in time. It was like someone turned on a switch, a fan. Bang! Out of nowhere a strong north easterly began to blow. This, for once worked in my favour. It's not often you get the chance to sail home from the Heads with a tail wind.

I didn't just make it home, but I made it home via my favourite coffee shop, one I hadn't been to in a while. It was well worth the extra little bit on the ride. Well, it is coffee after all.

Day three I met up with a couple of riding buddies that I haven't seen in ages. It was fantastic to catch up with them. This ride was just going to be a light twenty kilometers or so. But Ron on his E-bike and Jodie, although she hasn't ridden much lately, is extremely fit from her running. Well the two of these guys had me working, and especially as the way we went had a couple of longish hills. Well longish for Bundaberg anyway.

We were going to do a little extra through a picturesque estate that we frequent, but honestly my legs weren't in it. I'm still in recovery mode after all.

Making our way back via Fairymead it wasn't long before we found ourselves at that coffee shop again. It seemed to just jump out at us, so what were we to do?

All in all I am happy with the way things are going. So much so that I am seriously thinking of purchasing another road bike. Does this mean I will be re-MAMILised. Well I do have a heap of lycra still, and the Bontager Velocis shoes and Circuit helmet can be easily dusted off. I will have to pour myself into it all, and it won't be pretty...but hey! I do miss the Domane...

At the end of the day I am immensely relieved. For the past eight months I have felt fairly constricted, not much smile on the dial and pretty empty inside. Not anymore, the freedom and exhilaration that comes from riding has returned. It's not about going fast, it's not about challenges, it's just all about the ride.

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe. 


2 comments:

  1. That's great news Ian! Keep 'em rolling! MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, I'll have to start planning my next trip...lol

    ReplyDelete