Saturday 23 February 2019

Getting Away...Finally...Part 1!

It seems like it has been forever since I have done a trip. Well, pretty much it has been. I had the chance to finally get away seeing I had a little time off work.

My plan was simple, retrace my steps of eighteen months ago when I headed off to Brisbane.
Yes, it's a little over eighteen months now since I did my last Brisbane trip. It was down the South Burnett Rail Trail, across via the Connection Route down to Brisbane via the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail.

A lot has changed since I last did it. The Kilkivan end was now open and you could ride from Kilkivan to Murgon on a rail trail rather than the Wide Bay Highway.
Also, the Moore to Toogoolawah section was now open on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. Last time I headed own there you had to travel via back roads to Toogoolawah.

It was about midday when I eventually set off. I was driven out to Kilkivan to save me two days riding. But by the time I had the bike unloaded from the car, and all the gear loaded onto the bike, the sun was well over the yard arm. February in Queensland is typically our hottest month, and nothing changed for this trip.

I started out enthusiastic, but also a little concerned. My concern wasn't for the bike, the gear or what I may encounter on the trail. It was more about myself, it had been ages since I had gone a touring.

I decided to try something a little different this time. Instead of me taking faithful Konny, my Kona Sutra, I thought I might try this darn fangled bike packing thing. Yes, loading up the new Cube MTB with a budget, as I'm always about budget, bike packing set up. I'll talk about this more later. So now on the Cube off into, literally, the sunset I rode.

The trail heading out of Kilkivan looks surprisingly not as used as I thought it would be. Open to hikers, bikers and horse riders alike I thought that it would be more worn that it was. But in saying that, the grass on the trail was bike high and it was difficult to determine how worn, or how much use it had had. To be honest I was more concerned what was living in the long grass than how used to trail was.

The surface was mixed, it was rocky, then it was gravelly, it was then sandy. I like this about a lot of trails I have ridden, the mixture of the surface. It helps break the boredom, and creates a constant riding challenge as you pedal along. There is a by-pass that goes around via Tansey Rd at the beginning. I opted to neglect the by-pass as I was running late. About seven kilometres west of Kilkivan there is a deep water hole, it usually needs wading through. But because it was much later when I got out there to start, and we have had a massive dry spell, I continued on the trail.

When I eventually got to it, it wasn't deep, but it was deep enough to swallow me up well above the ankles. Now I'm no soft cock. Mud doesn't worry me, nor does water, especially at around 38*C. But the waterhole was not just mud. It was a thick soupy slurry of cow manure and mud, with little water.
Now it had been a continual 2% uphill run from town, I also was attempting to get my touring legs back. There was no way I was riding all the way back into Kilkivan to take the Tansey Rd by-pass.

The gate on the property owner's gate said, "Private Property Keep Out" and I wasn't going to dissobey the sign, especially with the gate locked, and a bike to lift over the gate and fences. I grabbed a stick to see how deep the mud actually was. Not too deep, great. I then proceeded to find larger rocks, throw them in and make stepping stones across the stinking pile of mud like faeces. I eventually got across after about ten minutes, stepping across the pads and letting the bike roll through the mud hole.

Once up the other side I continued on for Goomeri, the next town. It was roughly about twenty nine kilometres from Kilkivan to Goomeri and, honestly I thought it would be a lot easier. But it was somewhat difficult. the continual inclined gradient, the long grass, mixed up surfaces and lack of touring legs made it tough going, enjoyable, somewhat crazy, but a little tough.

About 3:00 PM I started to feel exhausted and ill. Between the heat, the never ending opening and closing gates, yes very annoying, and the fact that I hadn't eaten at all all day brought on a case of the bonks. Being in so much of a hurry trying to get going I had forgotten to eat...not a smart move.
I found a nice shady spot under the shady remnants of an old bridge, made some lunch and slurped on a much needed ginger and lemon tea.

After lunch, and a much needed rest I pressed on for Goomeri. My original plan was to make Wondai's free camp fr the first night. But I knew by now, that wasn't happening. I got into Goomeri around 4:30 PM, bought a couple of cold drinks from the local supermarket and filled all my water bottles up at the toilets in the centre of town. I had noticed the rumbling of thunder as I was approaching Goomeri, and as I was ready to leave it started up louder. I check BOM and yes a storm was on it's way. Ah well, no big problem. I was in a rotunder and well sheltered. I didn't care if I had to call that place home for the night.

A lot of my trips, I guess have been over planned. Yes, over planned. I have in the past planned my trip down to the necessary kilometre. This trip was different. It was to break this, what I am thinking is a bad habit. You see, I would always plan to be at destination X by that night. I think in doing so I was putting more pressure on my self and probably missing out on a lot of enjoyment. This trip however, was the opposite. It was all about the ride. if I rode X distance for the day, who cares. I would pull up camp when either I or the legs had had enough.

Well, the storm didn't last long and there was very little in it. I knew there wasn't anywhere in Murgon to free camp so I thought that if I made it this far I'll do what I did eighteen months ago, camp on the side of the trail. Around seven kilometres east of Murgon I pulled over for a rest on some benches that had been established there. It was now almost dark and I was planning to ride on with the Bontager Ion 700 blazing bright into the night. I sat for a moment, rested, had a drink and noticed...this is a nice flat spot. It's well of to the side of the trail, had the benches there to sit at, no houses around...YES. I had found my campsite for the night.

It didn't take me long to get set up, get dinner on and get settled in for the night. It was amazing just camping o the side of the trail, stars burning the night sky and the ahhh, the quiet. I just love that quiet.

Still a small distance to go until Murgon, and only thirty eight kilometres down for the day, I was more than satisfied. Just being out on the bike again, wow.


Embarking on the trail




Finding that shady spot for lunch on a hot day


Waiting ou the storm and contemplating camping here




Ahh! Bedtime eventually


No comments:

Post a Comment