Tuesday 9 March 2021

Planning The Future

One thing I am always thinking is, "Where to next"? I am always scheming up new plans and I have a volt in the back of my mind, and on my computer, where a plethora of half planned trips live. I don't know why, maybe it is that I just want to get out and see this country, and see it slowly.

As a truck driver I had driven plenty of this country, but I had never really seen it. Much of my time behind the wheel was spent driving at night, odd hours throughout the day, and major highways as the shortest route

I did a trip in 2019 where I had planned a 5,500 km round trip. Leaving Bundaberg the day prior to Anzac Day I headed south down through the Darling Downs and onto the New England.

I then headed for the coast down Old Grafton Road, which I have blogged about previously. I then continued south down the coast following mostly old sections of highway and back roads. I eventually landed in Sydney.

Unfortunately this is when cancer started raising it's ugly head and I had to return home. I never finished the planned extent of the trip.

The plan was to continue south from Sydney to the NSW's South Coast and traversed up over the Snowy Mountains, through winter, and then on to follow the Murray River to SA and then on to Port Augusta.

The return was simple, through the Flinders Ranges, across to Cameron Corner and home through southern Outback Queensland.

I suppose my point in saying all this is that it's good to plan. Even if the trips don't happen, or don't happen the way that it has been planned. I suppose planning a trip has become just as much a hobby for me as is riding my bike. No, let me re-phrase that...I suppose planning a trip has become my hobby to supplement my lifestyle of riding a bike.

I have in the works one day rides, overnighters, week or fortnight long trips up to major ones that may take a couple of months. I even have a trip semi planned through Norway then down through Sweden, Finland, further down to Estonia and across to Denmark; and yes, I even have my big lap planned around Australia.

Now I know in reality that some of these trips may not happen. But I have them there just in case. Within my routes planned, I have where I can camp, and realistic daily kilometers, well relatively realistic kilometers.

But part of the planning process I have found is organising gear, not just the destination and route.

Organising your camping gear allows you to take off at a minutes notice. Now I know that for many people it may seem impossible to take off in a minutes notice, but is it?

Not withstanding longer trips such as one or two weeks, unless Ike me you are retired, most weekend trips can be as simple as jumping on your bike. This is where having organised gear comes into play.

Ever been sitting around your morning coffee only to be thinking, "Ho hum, another boring day"? I know I have. The remedy is simple, pack the bike quickly and head bush for the night.

If you have some routes planned, including a camping area etc, the next is packing the bike.

I used to be a shocker. I had my gear everywhere. It was on racks in the shed, top shelves of my wardrobe and draws in my desk. Every time I wanted to go on a trip I had to spend at least two days trying to find everything. Now I have it all organised and in order.

I started with a plastic five draw cabinet, just a cheap one from the local discount store. The five drawers are organised in order...
1. (Top) Cook ware. This included pots, plates, cutlery and stoves.
2. Water. This is where I keep my bladders, water filtration kits etc.
3. Dry bags. All my dry bags ranging from 2 lt to 20 lt.
4. First Aid and lighting. All my first aid gear, torches, headlight, compass etc.
5. (Bottom) Some bike gear such as gloves, spare tyres, tubes etc.

I also have a large black plastic tool box, approximately 70 lt in size. In this I keep tents, hammock, sleeping gear, fuel bottles, riding jacket, poncho, water bottles etc.

I have my large 45 lt dry duffel bag that was purchased from Aldi. I use it for my trunk bag sometimes when touring. I keep all my bike bags in this. My saddle pack, handlebar roll, frame bag, handlebar bag, and other smaller bags such as a couple of bum bags and hydration packs.

On a shelf all of their own I have my panniers and hiking packs.

Inside in the pantry I have a shelf allocated to food. This ranges from my homemade dehydrated meals to canned food and even a spare bag of coffee. Beside it I have my Aeropress and coffee bags. I always keep a number of coffee bags and tea bags in a zip lock bag so they are ready to be grabbed on the go.

It is a simple system but it works. I can't believe I spent so much time stuffing about. With the handlebar roll and bag mount permanently mounted on my bikes, I can be loaded and ready to pedal in around 30 minutes.

Off course when planning a long trip it will take longer. But when off at the last minute for an overnighter or long weekend it is a simple process, one that can get you away quick if need be, but also just knowing where everything is.

My memory isn't the greatest so I make a point of every now and then going through the the gear to a) remember where it is and b) to keep a check on it, whether it is broken, clean etc.

So that, in a nutshell is my organisation strategy. So far it is working well. Now I just have to remember to return each bit of gear to it's rightful place...lol

Cheers all, and ride safe out there.













2 comments:

  1. I used to be able to remember every bit of gear I owned and where it was. Not anymore, I can't remember what I bought last week or where I put something yesterday. I've had to get a bit organised but not as well as you. Old age is a pain but not as bad as the alternative. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be shocking mate. To the point that I would sometimes buy new stuff, then find the old gear afterwards.

    ReplyDelete