Sunday 13 March 2016

It All Began Today

Well, finally the ability to get out and about more readily. Today was the beginning of the re-establishment of my cycling prowess.

First off contacting my insurance company and they were happy to comply to my needs. I decided to go through my home contents, 1. because the excess was cheaper and 2. because the excess was cheaper.

I do have my bike insured but as it didn't suffer too much damage I didn't seethe need to go through them. Also my contents covers my clothing, helmet, shoes and Garmin, so why not I say.

We pay insurance for this very thing. I have a good bike, but if it was to be a right off I can't at present afford to replace it. Some people think that insurances are a waste of money. I can see their point and they probably are...until you need them.

Living through floods here in Bundaberg I have heard all the, "I can't afford insurance" excuses. But don't tell you can't afford insurance whilst your sucking down a cigarette...ok rant over.

Insurance to me is a given, a must. I not only have my bike insured, I also have myself insured. I hold a Cycling Australia licence that covers me in the event of an accident. Mine is a race licence that covers me for all types of cycling, whether it be an event, race, or just pedaling around with the kids.

Well anyway, that is all sorted and I am just waiting for the bike shop to finish their report and it'll be off so I collect my claim. They will cover helmet, shoes, clothing Garmin and repairs to my bike up to and including a certain value.

I have also picked out  my new helmet, which is in stock and have ordered my new shoes. My new helmet is a bright green (visibility...lol) Limar 778 Superlight Road Helmet. It is light, very light and super comfy.

My shoes are a pair of Bontrager XXX Road Shoes. I was considering moving away from Bontrager, but when you consider that my current pair and very well used I really can't complain. They come in red and white colours, but I think I'll stick with white...

As far as the Garmin is concerned I will probably go with the Garmin Edge 810. I currently have an Edge 800 and have been extremely happy with it. The reason I want to go up and stay around the same level is for the navigation side. I love this aspect of my 800 and would probably be lost without it. My Garmin is probably still usable but I have noticed a small crack in the screen. I don't know how this will effect riding in the rain, so my thinking is to just get it sorted.

My clothing I will probably just pick up from various on-line bike stores etc...I still can't believe that my cheap $21.00 pair of bib  shorts did not even suffer a scratch whilst my $100.00 Jersey has holes in the arms and down the back...

I'm hoping the process will all be done and dusted by the middle of the week. I have friends who have offered to lend me gear as a helmet and shoes. This is great, what a great bunch of folk I know, very happy to call them my friends. But to be honest I am still having trouble with the knee, so I will probably spend the rest of this week of the bike and just lightly pedal on the exercise bike.

While I was out I decided to drop into our local council and put in an official complaint about the section of road that the accident was on. My may concern was to have this section, and many like it, repaired. But I thought, what the hell, so I put in for some compensation.Not a lot. I don;t want to retire with a squillion on the bank, although that would be nice. But I feel that it is their lack of maintenance that contributed directly to the accident. So all I will be seeking is what I am replacing and/or repairing. Yes, I have gone through my insurance company, but the council is negligent. I have to claim through my insurance because god only knows how long it will take for council to pay out, if at all.

So we'll see how I go, and see what is to eventuate throughout the week...

Cheers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment