Wednesday 9 March 2016

The Morning After

As I lay awake in bed the old Maureen McGovern song from Poseidon Adventure plays through my head, "There's got to be a morning after".

Unfortunately this is true, there's no escaping it. Very much sorer, and the pains of yesterday are being etched in my memory. Aches that were not apparent yesterday are coming to the surface. Even other symptoms like dizziness are starting to make themselves known, and there is only so much Panadol can do.

Today is a day of laying around, a visit to the doctors for a better check up, and some phone calls to the insurance company. I'm not looking forward to going out and looking at my bike. Although when my mate dropped it off yesterday there didn't appear to be too much damaged, I just know the more I look, the more I'll find.

I suppose I should upload yesterday's  ride to Strava and title it DNF. After all if its not on Strava, it didn't happen. So maybe I should omit it, and by some miracle the angst and reality of yesterday's drama will somehow magically disappear. But no; the Piper has been paid and I must dance to the music, I must play the hand that I have been dealt.

I think disappointment is the strongest emotion, and not of the injuries I'm suffering, but my bike. I know, I know, its just a bike right? Wrong...it's my bike. I have done over 13,000 kilometers of joyous riding in her. I know her sounds, I know her feel, I know how she changes gears and I have become so accustomed to her agility and handling. I love my bike, and the thought of having her replaced makes me forlorn. The thought of replacing the damaged parts, may be ok, but the deep seated notion that there could be an issue in the carbon frame somewhere makes me nervous.

Another disappointment is that road season starts next week. The One Hundred Laps of a Wednesday night around the Velodrome followed by the first race of the season the following Saturday afternoon. Ah well, at least my girls will get to ride...

I also just miss my riding. Days off the bike are like days locked in a prison. My riding is my time to fly, my freedom.

So today I'll face the music, begin doing what I have to do and start working through the processes one step at a time. I suppose if I take this approach it may just go by more speedily than I expect.

Maybe I am over complicating it all in my head, maybe it will all go smoother and faster than I think. Maybe I just need to go and have a coffee, and take a breath. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment