Saturday 29 October 2016

Biking The Burnett. Pt 2 Days 3 & 4

Day 3

Considering the previous day was quite a tough one I woke in a reasonable condition. Looking out through the opening of the tent I saw nothing but clear blue skies above, a good sign in my opinion.




After stretching and lazing for a while I decided to make a move. I wasn't in any particular hurry on this day as I knew the road well and only had about eighty five kilometers to travel. Slowly pulling  myself out of the tent I gave the bike a look over as I was preparing a cuppa. Every thing looked, a little muddy still but the rear spokes all looked ok. A lot of the mud that had remained after the dirt sections was washed off in the continuing rain and puddles but I did give the running gear a better wash.

Some breaky and another cuppa and I decided to make the move to start packing up. A clear blue sky meant I could get a good charge into my phone, Garmin and battery whilst I was packing. Eventually I made my way off just after 10:00 am.


The breeze was lovely and cool, and was at my back. This made a wonderful change from the last two days and the constant headwinds that persisted. It was lovely cruising easily at a constant twenty five km/h for a change.

My first planned stop was to be Biggenden for lunch and I was more than happy just tottling along. I had traveled the Isis Hwy many times before but only once on a bike, and that was in the opposite direction. I was looking forward to this ride, even though it was on a highway there is a reasonable shoulder most of the way to travel in.

First township, only small, along the way was Coulston Lakes. Coulstion Lakes is nothing more that a General Store, School and a Leprechaun Club...yes a Leprichaun Club. I was going to st0p in for a coffee but I didn't think I would be allowed in on account that I would be too tall.



By the time I had reach Coulston the wind had changed, yes, back to a strong head wind...great! I had to tackle the range, not really big but long and gradual, and now with a headwind. In the end it wasn't too bad. I had come from the other direction and it was quite a solid little ride, but I had a bit of luck this way as the wind changed again too my back. You've got to take the wins when you can.


Once on top of the range it was pretty cruisy riding into Biggenden where I stopped for lunch. I had developed a squeaky chain earlier in the day and had forgotten to take along some chain lube. Yes, I had it packed but decided to give the chain a lube the night before leaving. All the water and mud from the previous day had taken its toll on the existing lube.
With no bike shop in Biggenden the closest thing was the local hardware store. A small bottle of sewing machine oil was the next best thing and certainly took the squeak out of things.


After lunch and coffee I was on my way again. More undulating landscape and a close call with a caravaner pulling a punishment pass just made me want to get to camp and get set up.




I knew there was a back way into Apple Tree Creek but couldn't remember it. I didn't want to run the Bruce Hwy between Childers and here. Although not fat it is rather narrow on the edge, with  lot of B-doubles. I decided to plot a course in my Garmin to navigate me the back way. Well that didn't go too well. Turn left, turn left it kept directing me. Problem was I need to go right and there were no left turns. After a quick search on Google Maps I found the back route which I just happened to be stopped near. Twenty more minutes through some more gravel and hilly roads and I was pulling into the free camp at The Creek.

It was about 4:30 pm when I arrived, and I found a good spot near a picnic table and shelter. I was quickly set up and what for you know? I just happened to be only a two minute walk from the local pub. A good wash and a change and I was off to return with a lovely cold 6 pack...ahhh! Just what the Doctor ordered...no really...lol.


With the cold beer washing away the dryness from my throat, dinner was soon on. Unfortunately I had to drink the whole 6 pack as I had no refrigeration to keep them cold; and I couldn't have them getting hot now, could I?

Dinner done, beer gone, I was knackered and headed for bed. I knew I only had around fifty kilometers to ride on my last day so as usual, I was not planning to be in a hurry in the morning.
I'm glad I wasn't planning an early departure, the traffic was horrendous. Between heavy vehicles and school holiday revelers, there was just no end.


Day 4

I managed to get some sleep however through the night, and in the morning sheepishly arose , made a quick coffee to get the heart started and then started packing.


I skipped breakfast as the little town of Cordalba was only a fifteen to twenty minute ride away. The General Store here is a favourite stop of our riding group and the owners are extremely friendly and supportive of riders. They do a good coffee, offer fantastic service and are always willing to fill your water bottles up with some cold water at no charge.
The owners, a husband and wife, are no strangers to cycling themselves and have many kilometers of touring experience under their belts. The husband being away did not allow for a chat but a good coffee and some good eats were still a must.






After filling up at Cordalba I turned down and headed up Promiseland Road...SHIT! NOT AGAIN...
The bloody chain did it's little nasty once again. So over to the side of the road and an unloading the bike I went. It don't take long to sort out and I got repacked and on my way once again...AND SHIT! NOT AGAIN! BASTARD THING!...Yes, one more time. So here we go again. It was here that the third time unlucky took its toll. Snap, twang went a spoke. Great, the buckle in the rim was so bloody obvious.
All this time I worried about the standard rims on the bike holding true for the trip. All this time they appears to do it well. But no, the bloody shifter and chain did it's little evil. Upon a closer inspection other spokes looked scored as well. The only way home now was to open up the back brake (V Brake) fully by unhooking the cable. This made it able to ride, now I just has to hope the other damaged spokes held. I suppose there is a good reason why those plastic protectors are between the cassette and spokes. Maybe I shouldn't have been so "roadie" and removed it when I got the bike.
After all these are one of the first things, along with wheel reflectors, you take off, aren't they?


My plan was to head out the back way via Promiseland Road and onto Phillips Road which is dirt. I hadn't ridden this way before and I didn't know what to expect as far as road conditions. My concern was that if the road was too rough, how would the other damaged spokes hold up? Do I remain on this tack, or do I change and head in via the highway?
The highway didn't seem like a good option to me. Holiday traffic was building quite heavily when I left Apple Tree Creek. Ah well, here we go, if worse comes to worse I can always ring my wife, if there was service...lol. Gotta love adventure.

Anyway, off I trundled on my original plan. I headed up via the Mountain Bike trails and onto Phillips Road. I assume that the chain jumping back was due to cable stretch and thought I wouldn't be able to use first gear. But assuming it was not that hilly I thought that this would OK. That thought didn't last long, five minutes in and the hills got steeper as I progressed. I soon worked out that if I didn't shift into first gear too hard it was all good.


The ride was shady, which cooled a rather warm day, and once onto Phillips it flattened out. The road was rough in sections, sandy in some and beautiful in others. It was a nice ride through this way as it mostly State Forest. Hoop pines littered the horizon, mixed with some farm leasing for other crops such as sugar cane..


It wasn't long before I hit the highway much closer to home. It was good coming out onto the main road here as I  missed two bridges that didn't have much shoulder on them.

It wasn't long before I passed the all too familiar sign for Cedars, a lovely river crossing, and then into Kentucky Blue, one of the outer suburbs of Bundaberg.




I knew that I would be entering Magpie territory soon so I hit the flashing lights that I have mounted on my helmet. I was told that they work, whether they do or not I don't know. But the aggressive attacks did seem somewhat subdued, maybe they do?

There she was, The Bundaberg Sign, I had done it, I had completed my first bike tour. No, it was as long as some, it may not been as adventurous as others, but it was my first. I was chuffed, elated. So elated, and so in love with this genre of cycling I started planning my next trip as I was entering in past the airport.


Where to next? Stay tuned...








No comments:

Post a Comment