Sunday 30 October 2016

The Lights Are On!

I thought that I might start talking about some of my equipment, bike equipment that is...lol.

First up I'd like to talk about my headlights. I have several that I use and that I am extremely happy with.
There are some things that you do need to spend that little extra on as many cheap lights talk the talk but can't cut the custard when it comes to performance.
Whether it be a road bike, commuter, tourer, mountain bike or just you general recreational ride, I'm sure that either of these three lights that I have been using will deliver the ability that you are after.


1. BONTRAGER ION 700 - I've had this light for a couple of years now and have used it extensively. It is a rugged and tough light that is also rather small and compact. It is fitted to my road bike and the beam that it has is fantastic. So good in fact that I have had cars flash me thinking I had a light on high beam, and well, essentially I did.
Shining at 700 lumens, it has multiple settings, high 700 lm, medium 450 lm, low 200 lm, flash and flash with a 50 lm low beam. It is rechargeable via USB and has a seemingly good battery life once fully charged. If I am using it on high, I can get around a week out of it, using it for about an hour per day. When it is on flashing only it seems as though I an get weeks out of it before a charge.
I am one to use my lights during the day especially when riding alone and this lights has never let me down. It is tough, I haven't been kind to it. It has been dropped, I have crashed with it on and it still keeps churning out a great quality beam.
The only issues I have had with it is the rubber USB cover split and if pulled too hard can dislodge. I don't think that it is the light's fault but more the user being a bit too rough one day. The other issue is the standard rubber mount that it comes with has seemed to loosen. It is adjustable but after time it can get a bit wobbly. I doesn't bother me at all when riding but it can be noticed especially on a dark ride. It would be alleviated if I had a blender style head stem.
All in all it is a fantastic product and I think you would be hard pressed to find a better head light on the market. They don't come cheap, but nothing that is worth it is...$149.00
Bontrager claim 1.75 hours on high beam, but I think you get a bit more than that.

For more information - check it out here

2. SOLAR STORM X 2 1800 - I haven't had this light all that long in the scheme of things but I am over the moon with it's performance thus far. A cheaper Chinese manufactured light comes in a X2 or a X3 models along with variants in lumens. My X2 shines at 1800 lumens and it is one I have mounted on my commuter/tourer, that I ride in the dark often for work.
It is light, compact and wow, does it pack out a beam...This thing lights up the road in front of you like Rudolf on a cloudy night. With 1800 lumes and Cree T6 LED lenses it is literally as bright as a spot light.
It has a rechargeable external battery that has its onwn carry case and fits easily to the frame or handle bar by way of a velcro strap. I have put extra velcro around it as it appears to move around a bit if you don't. I also use a little piece of non-slip matting under it just to help it stay put.
Otherwise it is a great light that has a great battery life. It has multiple settings, high, meduim, low, sequenced flash, unsequenced flash. The sequenced flash can be a bit trippy, flashing really fast like some disco ball on steroids. Other than that all other settings are fine.
Bang for buck it is fantastic and would be also great for the MTBer that likes a night ride. It comes with light, battery, charger, a couple of different sized rubber bands and can be fitted to the bar of your bike, or your helmet. The battery lead is long, so if you where mounting it to your helmet it could be easily stored in a back pack or hydration pack. It could be even stored in the back pocket of a jersey as it isn't much heavier than a banana...$50.00 from my Local Bike Store. You can pick these up on line from various places and on E-bay for a bit cheaper.


3. GUEE SOL 700+ - This is a great light for a budget price. 700 Lumens all the way with the added benefit of a light sensitive on/off, or SAS Smart Ambient Sensor. This means that you can set and when it gets dark enough your light will automatically come on.
It is USB rechargeable with four settings, high 700 lm, medium 400 lm & low 250 lm along with a flashing  mode.
It is a little bulkier and heavier than some of its caliber on the market, but it is certainly a great price for the level and quality of light.
It comes with a mounting bracket, extra rubber spaces with the bracket being adjustable in several different ways and is also compatible to mount a Shimano sports cam, along with some other brands. It is probably suited for a hybrid or commuter, or even mountain bike rather than a streamlined road bike. But if you don't care about aerodynamics too much, it is a great light for around $75.00.
The light has a good battery life and I use it in line with my Solar Storm and I have a good 200 mts light up in front of me. The Aquee on its own would give you close to 100 mts, plenty to spy out hidden pot holes or hazards on a dark road or trail.
Housed in a tough aluminium body I don't think that it will suffer much getting knocked around.



For more information - check it out here



No comments:

Post a Comment