Tuesday 7 August 2018

Touring Tools & Spares

In this blog I want to talk about some of the tools and spares I take with me on a trip. Of course this kit may vary depending on the length of trip I take.

We can't take a whole bike shop full of tools and spares with us as we pedal our way to two wheeled utopia. But going without anything is just bicycle touring suicide. Even on a short trip some basics "must" accompany you on your trip. Now, you don't have to break the bank either, just some basics to give you that little bit of assurance as you ride.

There are those who take a whole myriad of parts, and being that they may be travelling to remote or far off distant lands, it could be maybe justified...but really. I've read where people have taken derailleurs, BB's and bearings. But in the end, if you have your bike serviced regularly, and especially before you leave, a lot of these things can be negated.

Things I take are -

Tubes - I always take at least three tubes with me. I had an instance on one trip that I stuffed my tube stem before leaving in the morning. I only had one spare and used it to get me going. I thought, "She'll be right mate". Needless to say, it wasn't. In the middle of the bush, with a a tube that resembled a tea strainer, no amount of patches were going to fix it. Luckily for me I was only fifty kilometres from home and my wife was able to run me out some the next day when the shops were open. Ah, the joy of learning.

A Puncture Repair Kit - along with tubes I always take a repair kit with me. It comes in handy and saves money along the way. I like to carry both types, the compound glue variety along with the self adhesive kind.
When suffering a puncture it's always quicker to just swap tubes. But at night when camped up, I usually pull out the punctured tube and repair it, giving me that extra spare yet again. Compound patches are also handy for repairing tyres. Last trip I got a piece of metal through my front tyre leaving a decent split in it. A patch on the inside with a decent amount of glue and Bob's ya' knob, problem solved.
The self adhesive patches are good, but not for a long time. They're a handy little bit of gear to just patch and go on the run. Compound glue takes some time to set properly and become air sealed. But the self adhesive variety may be a quick fix, but it's a good idea to eventually repair it with a proper patch, as they give way after a while. It might not happen over night, but it will happen.

A Spare Tyre - whether I go for two days, a week or a month I always take a spare tyre along with me. A lot of people may not think this is necessary, but given some of the roads I travel and areas I embark to, I wouldn't go without one. I have never used my spare yet, and I don't consider this a bad thing. It also doesn't mean that I would go without it. After the tube incident, I'm not taking any chances.

Spare Spokes - spokes are not something I take all the time. They are mainly something I take on a longer trip. Usually for a weekend away, if you break a spoke you can make do, especially with disc brakes. Even V-brakes it's easy to get through by just releasing the brakes. But a broken spoke isn't something that want to really endure on a longer trip. One broken spoke can weaken the rest over time.
I've only had one broken spoke whilst travelling. That was on the old Merida and I was on my way home. The only time my Kona has suffered such an injury is when my youngest knocked it over in the shed from it's stand...never mind that little hump that resembles a grave in my back yard...lol.

Spare Chain - again, not something I would take on a short trip, but on a longer one, I think it's a must.

Missing Links - they are a must for me now even on a day ride. I have always had one, even when being a MAMIL roadie, one was in my saddle bag. The only time I didn't have one with me, I broke a bloody chain. So now one, or two, has pride of place always in my bag.

Cassette/Derailleur Hanger - These are things that I would take on an extensive trip.

Tools I take with me are -

Multi Allen Key Set - I have a Park Toll multi allen key set that is compact and has every size I need. It, like many other things live in my saddle bag and is never removed.

Screw Driver - I have a small screw driver that is a flat driver one end, and a phillips on the other. You just swap it around as necessary. It comes in handy for minor adjustments that may be needed along the way.

Tyre Levers - would you ever ride a bike without them.

A Cheap Leatherman Knockoff - this is just a small Leatherman type multi tool. It has the usual pliers, knife bald, screw driver etc. I think it was around three bucks from Supercheap Auto.

Chain Breaker - funny enough I always carry one with me. Rest assured if you break a chain it won't be where it can just be easily replaced with the missing link without taking at least one link out.

Spoke Spanner - not something I take on short trips, but longer trip...definitely.

Small Shifting Spanner - just something that I like to have.

15 mm Open End Spanner - seeing that most nuts on my bike are this size, it comes in handy for everything from pedals to cones.

Cassette Removal Tool/Chain Whip - on a long trip I decide to take this stuff with me. There is always the chance that you do a cassette in. Seeing that cassettes are the best part of $80.00 - $90.00, it's much cheaper if you can just buy the cassette and change it yourself.

Pump - this needs no reasoning.


So guys, these are the things I take with me on a trip. Yes, they vary depending on the trip but essentially remain a staple.
Your kit may vary. Let me know...

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe.

Edit :- Along with the above spares I always make the habit of carrying some other essentials. These being insulation and gaffa tape, some cable ties and some spare M5 and M6 allen bolts for racks and cages. Cheers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment