Saturday 16 April 2016

The First Race

Today I had my first road race. Well, the first in over thirty years. It didn't go too bad. I went better than I thought I would and excepting that I made a wrong turn and did about six kilometers out of my way, all went well. Its ok I am absolutely laughing about it, its hillarious.

We raced out of town on a Course call Wallaville, after the little township that is out that way. It is a rather hilly course, and being a big bloke, I actually don't mind the climbing. Now I never said I was a champion at it, just that I don't  mind them.

I was surprised to be put off with the first group, I was expecting the second group off. Although I didn't mind this as I was with a couple of my regular riding buddies.

We started off and all was going well but as we hit the climbs I started to pull away. The idea was to stay together but it was difficult to stay back on the hills. So off I went.

Mark, another friend of ours started off two minutes before us. Mark is still recovering from a quadruple bypass, and I have to say, he is an absolute inspiration, a legend. The reason for him starting just ahead of us was just to give a bit more time to settle his heart rate.

As I pulled away from the other two I thought that I would just catch Mark and settle in with him. Not long after the first turn around I caught him and he was happy to just chuggle along at his own pace. So I set my own pace and being on my own thought it was a good time to practice time trial mode. Something else I don't mind, but need desperately the practice at. Not long after this I started to pass the other groups heading for the turn around from whence I had just came.

I was doing well, and with a slight tail wind I was sitting on a good pace. The course had flattened out a bit but was still fairly undulating. They weren't steep hills, but gradual ones, and some longer than others.

I knew that the other groups would be gaining on me so I hooked into it fairly well knowing that I not only had them coming up from behind, but I would have a head wind on the way home.

Coming over a rise I could see the small township in the distance, and feeling good kept the throttle on as best I could. This is where it went pear shaped...lol. I saw a yellow "Caution - Cyclists Ahead" sign, but it was placed slightly around the corner of the side road. Slowing off a bit and thinking, "Will I, or Won't I", I took the plunge. I should have went with my gut feeling. Anyway, needless to say it was a nice little ride...lol.

After travelling to the end of the road and realising my peril, I about faced and hit it as hard as I could, thinking if  could only make it back to the main road as the other groups were coming. NO, they had gone past. Not only the second and third groups, but the group I had started with. Anyway, shit happens, so I just did what I could do, hit the turn around and headed back for the finish line.

As I headed back out of the township I saw the chopping block, heading in. OK, this was going to make it interesting. Then a bit further down the road, here came the Scratchies. Alright, just have some fun now.

After a couple of rises I could see Mark again in the distance, the headwind was building and I just wanted to persist to the hills. After catching Mark I set my sights for Leonie and Bob, the other two in the group I started with.

Head down, tucked in behind the drops I could here the chopping block coming behind. They were actually a very welcome sight, as I sat in behind them and had a little respite from the wind.

We hit the final turn for home and hit the final set of climbs for the finish line. I was amazed I was able to stay with them for so long, even up the climbs. But as the climbs got longer, the distance got greater. A couple of them dropped off behind me, so that made me feel good. I kept the spin up and persisted to the finish line. There was another guy in front I was gaining on up the climbs but as we hit the top and flatter ground he was able to get going before I reached the top.

Anyway I made it, I'll be sure of my bearings next week, I'm a newby, I'm allowed to make mistakes.
All in all it was a fantastic day and  I can't wait for next week to come around.

If you're my age and getting into cycling and want to take the plunge...do it. Nothing is stopping you except yourself. Racing at club level is fun and light hearted. I have come to the conclusion that I am only racing myself. I am doing it for the fun, and a world of fun it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment