Sunday 16 October 2016

Biking The Burnett! Part 1 - Days 1 & 2

Well I've done it. I completed my first trip and absolutely loved it. I knew I would before I left, but you never know until you try it. I'm hooked.

Day 1...

I left Bundaberg on a beautiful sunny morning about 8:15 am and after about fifteen minutes, I realised my first newby mistake...lol, but got it sorted pretty quick. I left my pump at home. I hadn't had much of a chance prior to the ride to get used to the bike fully loaded, and especially with 20 kgs over the back wheel, another newby error. It didn't take long to get used to it though and after a while I really didn't notice it too much.



I headed north out through North Bundaberg and across through Tantitha and onto Rosedale Rd. I eventually worked my way through the cane fields and worked my way zig-zagging through back roads, some sealed, some gravel. The diversity of agriculture in our region never ceases to amaze me. One minute you are riding through cane fields, then macadamia trees, bananas and a myriad of crop varieties.


After going out through the back of Bullyard it didn't take long to start hitting the hills. Down a gravel road called Snake Creek Road then onto Wallaville - Goondoon Rd the hills kept persisting and did so all the way through Mcilwraith to Gin Gin. Finally, after seventy-five kilometers a much needed break was had. The gas stove was brought out and the coffee was on.




I rested at Gin Gin for about an hour, and with no rush I headed off through back roads again. I headed out through a little town called Tirroan, nothing more than a pub, where the hills persisted and actually got worse. Back on gravel and tackling a lot of ten to fifteen percenters, and even more, the legs were starting to feel it and I started to think, "What the bloody hell am I doing?" I'm not one to shy away from a good hill, but on a heavy bike that was loaded to the hilt, jeez...

After walking up one that was too steep I had time to gather some perspective and reflect on the ride thus far. Earlier on I had tried to keep a constant pace, after all this is what you do when you are out on your road bike. The problem was, I wasn't on my road bike and I had to change my mind set. I had been pushing it too hard and it is on this hill when I remember saying to myself, "I'm doing it all wrong!" Yes, it was on this hill that I realised that it was time to slow down, relax and chill a little. This wasn't a race, it was a holiday, not a Tour de France, but a touring break. For the rest of the afternoon I settled down and stopped more frequently to check out the sights, take in the views and smell the roses so to speak.



I finally got to the destination for my first night's camp, Moolboolaman. I had intended to go a further few kilometers up Duckponds Rd road and stay on a friends property. But that extra few kilometers were straight up and I just didn't have it in me.



I opted to make camp just of the main road (Mt Perry Gin Gin Rd) behind a couple of large dirt mounds. It was a lovely shady spot sheltered from the roads. After setting up camp I thought I'd have a good wash and have a rest before dinner. It was getting close to dark by then and the mozzies, man...were they starting to set in. I thought that if I had a rest until after dark the mosquitoes might dissipate into the night sky. But I was wrong, they swarmed in. In the end I had to light a small billy fire just to create some smoke. As I was camped on Moolboolaman Station, private property, I was rather hesitant. But I needed some smoke to herd off the swarms of mozzies that were attacking from every angle. It was also rather warm so being clothed in winter tights and a long sleeve jersey, it was going to make it even more uncomfortable.

After lighting the fire, the mozzie attack was warded of and I was able to strip down to cooler clothing. After a nice pot of curry chicken and vegetables with some rice, I was able to relax further. There was no phone or internet service so I was unable to chat, blog or just find out what else was happening. This here was another mistake...next time I'll take a book with me to do some reading.


Day 2...

After waking early in the morning and hearing the sound of very light  rain on the fly of the tent, I rolled over and went back to sleep. The rain didn't last long as when I awoke the outside of the tent was dry.


It was about a thirty five, or so, kilometer ride to Mt Perry and as I had used the majority of my water the previous day I skipped breakfast and my morning coffee...ouch!
I packed up steadily and feeling good after a good night's sleep I set off on my way just after 8:00 am. I had consumed nearly six litres of water the day before so was apprehensive of the route I had originally planned. My original plan included some long stretches between towns.

Heading back out onto the main road I headed south. There were some back roads I had planned to take along here as well but had about fifteen kilometers to ride before I could turn off. Eventually I made it to Cambria Flats Rd heading the back way for Boolboonda Tunnel. The scenery was magnificent and ever changing. I had now left cane country and was in beef cattle territory. Although it was rather dry there was still enough greenery around to make the ride pleasurable.

After riding on the back roads of gravel and many short sharp gradients I made it to the tunnel. Boolboonda Tunnel was part of the original Mt Perry Rail Line that ran into Bundaberg. The line's construction was started in the mid 1800's to service the copper mines that had started in Mt Perry. After the copper depleted the rail was used for timber and cattle with a rail car running a shuttle service connecting all the towns in between. The line was finally closed only in the 1990's, not that long ago. It is something I would like to see re-opened as a rial trail.

After stopping and having a rest, rode through the tunnel and headed south once again. In my original plan I was aiming at riding a section of the BNT, or the Bicentennial National Trail that runs from Boolboonda to Mt Perry. But it is a rather remote section of trail, no phone service and unknown to me. I rode down to have a look at the entrance to the section but opted against going that way. One water bottle and not knowing the trail and on my own, I erred on the side of caution.

The BNT is a 5,500 km trail that runs from north of Melbourne in Victoria to Cooktown in Queensland's top end. It mainly follows the Great Dividing Range and is open to horse riders, hikers and cyclists. Many have completed the trail in it's entirety and it would be a great experience, although there are quite a few sections inaccessible to push bikes.



After a photo or two it was time to get to Mt Perry, hunger and a lack of caffeine was calling louder than the desire to sight see. I made my way back out onto Mt Perry Rd and then only had a reasonable short distance to travel. After arriving in town I went straight for the General Store where a large long black, egg and bacon muffin and sausage roll was swiftly ordered.






I finally had phone and internet service once again and was able to check up on a few things, mainly my planned route. It was here I decided to change things. After considering my previous day's water usage, it was a key element. I was unable to carry anymore on the bike, I was loaded to the hilt. I had planned to head west from Mt Perry and make camp at a small area called Ceratodus. After Ceretodus I was heading north to Monto, about a fifty plus kilometer ride. Then after Monto I had wo days to go before I could get water.
A lot of the planned stop overs were without water. Ceratodus used to have a water tank, but no longer. It had been a while since I was out that way so I can only assume the the big floods in 2013 washed the tank away. Kalpower State Forest had no water and with Graeta. So a change was made.

I decided to keep heading south down through Mingo Crossing, Byrnestown and onto Ban Ban Springs. I knew it was a quiet road, dirt most of the way and plenty of undulation to keep me honest. I finished lunch and headed off.


Just as I was finishing lunch a light shower started. The weather had predicted some rain for the day but for late morning and I thought I may have escaped it. It wasn't heavy and in the beginning I didn't even need a rain jacket on. But as the trip progressed, the rain set in. It had been a while since I had been this way and I knew the road wasn't flash, but was looking forward to a quiet day's ride no matter if it was raining or not.

I continued on sealed road for some time and was hoping for some improvement of the dirt section's condition. The gravel roads traveled on the  previous day were smooth and easy. Well, this one was not. It started out rough, extremely rough, and rocky. Then there were patches of sand that would catch the front wheel with it sinking down, then there were clay sections that with the rain were like an ice skating rink. The road was constantly changing and didn't even allow me to gather a decent momentum on down hill runs. OH...and there were the hills. It was lovely and scenic though...lol


After about twelve kilometers I came across some road works that were several kilometers long. Fresh road base unpacked mixed with previously graded dirt made up a muddy treat, one that had the front and back wheels traveling in different directions. Boy, was I glad to see the end of that.




After returning to a sealed surface down through Mingo Crossing I stopped to have a break, a drink and a breather. A local stopped opposite me and asked if I was OK. We chatted for awhile and he informed me that it was now sealed all the way, with the exception of a little bit of road works. I thought, "Great!", but he forgot to tell me that the road works was the other twenty kilometer stretch of dirt that I was originally expecting. The sealed road over and the struggle began once gain, only with bigger hills. The mud was that thick at times that I had to stop and and wash it out of my chain and derailleurs.




I eventually made it back onto sealed road and with the rain set in for the afternoon it gave the appearance that it was much later than it was. Not far to the Burnett Hwy now...bang, clink, clunk...Oh shit! My first mishap.
Nothing major, the chain had decided to jump up over first gear and get jammed between the cassette and spokes. It didn't take long to fix but was a pain in the arse to have to unload everything to repair. No damage done, and it wasn't long before I was on my way. Twenty kilometers to go, it could have waited.




Heading down the Burnett Hwy, finally the street light, yes light...singular, was shining, the road house was open and the rain has stopped. I pulled into the free camp there, found a spot, took off my wet mud covers shoes and headed across to the shop, ginger beer and two Mars bars were the order of the evening. After returning from the shop, the billy was on the boil as I set up camp. Plenty of water at this campsite mean't a warm wash for the night. The mozzies weren't as harsh and the breeze subtle but not cold.
It was finally time to relax with a lovely hot meal. Day two was a tough day, but I made it...phew!!



No comments:

Post a Comment