Tuesday 27 December 2016

Brisvegas By Pedal Power!

Well it's not long now. Two more sleeps and I'm on my way. I have the new bike, I have some new panniers for the rear and a new rack for the front.


This trip is taking me to Brisbane from my home town of  Bundaberg, a five hundred and sixty kilometer trip one way.
Leaving Thursday Morning I will head out to Booyal and across to outside of Biggenden to a little area called Lakeside where I'll make camp for the first night.

Day number two will be from Lakeside to Woolooga where I hope to jump onto the Kilkivan Rail Trail that runs from Theebine, and ride it into Kilkivan where I'll make camp for night number two.


From Kilkivan I am hoping I can ride the Kingaroy Kilkivan Rail Trail as far as I can. By all information I've been able to gather it is open for use as far as Murgon. At Murgon is where I'll have no choice but to jump onto a main road and ride along The Bunya Highway. This is my main concern as it can be narrow in sections and is a frequent route for heavy transport. My only solace is that the further west you go, the friendlier the truckies are. Fingers crossed they are like it out that way.


My third night's camp will be in a little camping area approximately twelve kilometers south of Kingaroy. From here I will make my way down through the eastern side of the Bunya Mountains to Maidenwell. Then down hill for a welcome change into Yarraman.

From Yarraman I will get my first taste of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. After all, this is what I have come all this way for, to ride this amazing rail trail. Onward to Blackbutt from here which will make night number four.



From Blackbutt I will continue along the BVRT (Brisbane Valley Rail Trail) all the way into Wulkuraka which is west of Ipswich. I have no set camping plans along the trail thus far, but there are areas I can camp along the way. I am allowing an extra night's camping along the trail somewhere, which will make night five, possibly rest up at Esk Caravan Park, my only paid accommodation along the way. Or I might continue to free camp.

Once at Wulkuraka I will make my way up through College Crossing to Karana Downs, through the back of Amstead and Bellbowrie (my old stomping grounds) and work my way up through Rafting Ground Rd to the North Western outer suburbs of Metropolitan Brisbane.

So tomorow will be spent getting some chores done around the house, shopping for supplies, packing the bike and getting ready for my first biggy. Oh I forgot to mention that I hope to make my way home via the Sunshine coast hinterland and Mary Valley. I am meeting my wife in Brisbane, but I haven't mentioned this bit to her yet...lol.

Cheers and as always, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment