Sunday 29 July 2018

The Simplest Things In Life!

In my drafts I have had a blog waiting to be posted, ranting about how frustrated I am at the moment. It's not fun not being able to do the things you want, especially the simple things like ride.

Today the drought broke. After weeks of endless pain, the flu (which is still lurking), carcinomas being removed, and just a plain lack of any motivation at all, I finally got out on the bike.

Yes, it is the simple things in life that are often the best...and I know I have no real right to complain as there are many people worse off than me. But I am not associated with them, I am in my own bubble with my own problems.

I had almost forgotten how freeing it is to be on your bike. It is this feeling that has kept me sane, anchored to the real world. My bike has been my solace, my rock, my escape and my reset. Not being able to ride is like a musician not being able to play, a dancer not being able to dance. The worst thing about it all is that it has been avoidable. I have let my passion sit on the shelf collecting dust.

Whilst I am the first to say that I have had my fair share of excuses, and justified ones at that, I have also not pushed the envelope. I have been complacent in letting myself slide, letting rust replace shine, I have become a silt laden stream that once ran crystal clear.

OK, enough of the downer... Like I said it was exuberant to get get out on the pedal powered mistress once again. I have to say I absolutely fell head over heels in love with my Kona once again today. I had forgotten how soft she was, how responsive and how pleasurable. Ahhh! What a mistress.

It was only a short twenty something kilometer ride, and considering how much I haven't ridden I surprised myself. I suppose it's just like riding a bike...lol.

It was a relatively flat ride out of Bundaberg past the airport and onto the Ring Road. I didn't have any particular plan, just a ride with the cameras recording and having a chat as I was pedaling along.

Once on the Ring Road I headed East and was reminded as to how comfortable the Kona was on a rough surface. It is for this I bought her. The steel frame, the 40 mm tyres and the Brooks B17 all worked together to take away the bumps that the side of this road offer up.

I continued down the Ring Road and once at Barolin St I headed towards town. It was a nice change riding up this section of road now with a bike lane. Normally you would compete with the usual hoards of inconsiderate motorists as there was not much shoulder. What shoulder there was was usually broken up or in disrepair.

I was going to head south down Thabeban Rd but feeling good I continued up to Simms Rd and rode down along it's entire length. Once at the end I headed up Elliott Heads Rd and zig-zagged my way up to Coral Isles' Crit Track.

After a lap for old times sake I headed up to the main street and headed back towards home. The main street was quiet being a Sunday evening. Usually when you rise down it you get a few beeps of a horn. I ride down the middle whether motorists like it or nor. The main street's parking arrangement is nose in parking. That means you have cars reversing out into traffic. They don't look for a cyclist so riding close to either side of the lane is a no no. Down the middle all the way...

The twenty two kilometers were coming to a close. A smile on my face, a druggy with his fix, I was a happy soul.

No to clear off some of that rust and let the shine shine through.

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment