Wednesday 27 February 2019

Getting Away...Finally...Part 2!

Day two; I was awoken by the local Kookaburras laughing, and magpies warbling. Although sleeping well, I found it a little restrictive in my little one man tent. Maybe it's the extra weight I've put on, maybe it's just a realisation that tents that size are just meant for little people.

I lay there for a while enjoying the cool breeze that seemed to be absent the day before. Leaving late the previous day left no creature comforts like cool breezes. Soon I was up, coffee on, and Uncle Toby's simmering away as I packed up my gear in preparation for the day's ride.

It was a good start to the day, out on the trail, free at last. Today's aim was Kingaroy. My original plan was to get to town...whenever that was, then head out of town approximately nine kilometres and hit a free camp for the night. That was the plan anyway, but one must remain flexible.

A cool morning is always great and I didn't have much water left so the smooth and comfortable ride into Murgon was a godsend. Even though it was still quite gravelly it was a vast improvement on what was ridden the previous day. The rail trail follows the main road, the Bunya Highway I think, quite closely almost to Murgon where it does deviate away for a while. It is probably a little more scenic on this section of the Kilkivan to Murgon section.

As I said, I was short on water and the day now was heating up. Still well before 9:00 am I trundled around Murgon looking for a tap to fill the water bottles. I asked a couple of people, on of which was a lovely elderly lady. She talked on how she loved her bike riding, and how she had upgraded to get a bike she wanted. She was impressed with the Cube and asked me many questions, not just about the bike but the trip also. She was extremely excited about what I was doing, thought I was a little crazy, but excited all the same.

After chatting to her the Visitors Information Centre had just opened it's doors. I entered and the freezing cold air conditioning was a more than welcome additive. I asked the lady about water and she was more than obliging to help me out. Water, check...time to keep going down the trail.

From Murgon to Kingaroy is the sealed section of the rail trail. After water I stopped, topped up the tyres by a few PSI's and locked the forks out. Last time I headed down this section of road it was wet and cold being winter. Not long after leaving Goomeri, along the Bunya Highway a big storm brewed and emptied it vengeance on my. I did have the foresight to cover up with the wet weather gear. This time was different, it was hot and it was dry, very dry.

Out of town and memories of the last trip flooded back, although the memory wasn't all that accurate...lol. It's funny how you remember a trip, or ride by certain things. With circumstances being different, it kind of changes things, or is that just me?

Morning tea time I was in Wondai. I had planned to visit the Bakery, but I opted just for shade in the local park. The billy on, and a Gatorade or two down I settled back for about an hour. I was in no rush after all.

By now the heat had well and truly began to set in. It was now 11:00 am and it was far hotter than the day before. No records, no rush was the motto of the day. It was still a gradual 1.5% to 2% incline. There was a breeze blowing, albeit a north easterly. When I caught it, it cooled things down a bit, but between Wondai and Wooroolin there is a lot of tall grass and shrubbery on the side of the trail. This was enough to block any breeze. That, coupled with the sun being above the yard arm, meant no shade and no breeze. Hot, was an understatement.

I love how the Tingoora, or Tinny, hotel stands out. It's a bit like them old time movies where the lost are wandering through the desert and see this oasis like mirage. The red roof and timber walls stand out like a beacon. I had to rub my eyes in disbelief. I stopped to take a photo, Instagram and all. As I began to pedal off in Wondai's direction some divine power grabbed the handle bars and steered me towards the Hotel. Out the front of the hotel I wrestled with this...ummm...divine intervention. I gave in, who am I to argue with a higher power. A schooner of Great Northern Super Crisp and a glass of ice water. Ahhh, I could have stayed there the night...

Anyway back to reality... I couldn't stay there all night, not because I had somewhere else to be, but because there was no accommodation. Oh shit! I've just remembered writing this, the oval opposite is a free camp...oh well!

After a good rest, refreshments and a great chat with the publican and a couple of patrons it was time to continue. Again continuing slightly uphill I pedalled onward. The heat increased and the water decreased. I had to stop again at Wooroolin, the next town. I topped up a bottle or two to make sure I had enough water and made friends with a Border Collie that seemed more intent with coming along with me than her owner. I had to leave her behind as beautiful as she was.

By now with the heat, it was just a town to town trot, there was still plenty of hours left on the day. The trail is smooth and suited for all types of cycling and hiking. This wasn't the problem, the heat was. As I approached Memerambi the ambient temperature reached 38.5*C. The heat recorded off the trail by the Garmin was 47.8*C. Because of the water shortage, what was thought to be fresh water tasted more like bore water. Bore water is minerally, almost salty to the taste. The water in the bottles on my forks were that hot, I didn't need to boil the water to make a cup of tea. It was around 1:30 pm at this stage.

I sent a text message to my wife about how hot it was, and after lunch at Memerambi I only had about ten kilometres to go to get to Kingaroy. Add another nine kilometres onto that, I would be at camp well and truly by 3:30 pm.

The trail meanders along the Bunya Highway into Kingaroy though farm fields. The scenery is magnificent. The dryness of the drought, the black soil and the green crops that are getting the benefits of irrigation was a brilliant contrast. The crops appeared to be canola, I could stand corrected.

Through Crawford and only five kilometres to go I seemed to pick up a bit of pace. This last leg is largely a decline into Kingaroy. Not far out of town my wife rang me. To my surprise she had decided to book me a motel for the night because of the heat.She was in the process of it so it was a wait in the local McDonalds with a cold...ummm...something that was pineapple in colour, not sure about the taste.

I grew a little impatient here. It was time that school was out. I just can't understand how some parents think it alright to sit back oblivious whilst their children run a muck squealing and screaming. Don't they know, that's what cupboards are for? Again, I'm an Old Bum after all, maybe more a Grumpy Old Bum.

Phew...book in completed...it was time to get outtathere, mad Maccas!!! Man o man...an air conditioned room and a pool. My wife did well. After a change and a walk up town to collect some cold water (filtered through hops) the pool was the destination. Ahhh, the serenity. Although not cold it was a vast improvement on the heat of the day.

I have to say at this stage, a big thank you to South Burnett Rail Trail and their supporters. Their well wishes and encouragement over the past days was fantastic. A big cheers guys.

The freshness of a swim, followed by a cold shower, an air conditioned room, and that chilled hoppsy, amber water, made the heat of the day dissipate. It was time to settle back and relax in comfort. No bare tent tonight.


Photo compliments Graham Ramsey


The new distance markers on the SBRT


Ahhh, coffee



Wooroolin


Noise and pineapple substitute


No comments:

Post a Comment