Thursday 19 September 2019

A Hidden Gem!

On my recent travels I saw many wonderful places. But one that took me by complete surprise was one road, Running Creek Road.

Running Creek Road connects Brooweena-Woolooga Rd to Kilkivan. Taking this way allowed me to miss Woolooga and the Wide Bay Hwy completely. Instead of tackling a major road with very little shoulder I was able to tranquilly meander a quiet road that was just a complete surprise. I'd in fact say, that this road was one of the highlights of my trip.

After being stuck on the side of the road for an extra day due to rain, I was able to get going with more than enough time to spare. I now only had around forty five kilometres to pedal. I knew I had some hills to traverse, but not knowing how many, and the gradients of them I was glad for the shorter day into Kilkivan.

After suffering Day Two Blues and getting an extra day stuck in a tent to get over myself I was excited to be on the bike as I made my way down Brooweena-Woolooga Road. From Maryborough-Biggenden Road this section opens itself up to be undulating and relatively cleared grazing land. But getting closer to the Woolooga end it starts to forest over, bringing in much needed shade from the warming Queensland sun.

The day started off clear, then clouded over as I began to ride. But only an hour after that clear blue skies were an amazing backdrop for the ever changing landscape.

After a late breakfast and coffee stop in a gravel pit on the side of the road I was not too far from Running Creek. It is here just after crossing a small bridge I began to work my way up through a mixture of thick patches of forest to isolated semi cleared farm land.

I crossed Running Creek once more after just entering the road and took full advantage of it's crystal clear running water. I had no idea what the day would have install for me, so taking the chance to fill up on as much water as possible was a given. It was so nice that after filling up on water I left the bike in the shade, ripped of my shoes and let them dangle in the nippy water. It was also a great opportunity to have a refreshing wash.

I was still finding my mojo at this point so walking the bike was a necessity. Although I do like to get off and walk every now and then just to have a stretch. But as I now began to climb the reasonably good gravel surface of Running Creek Road, walking was not just for stretching my legs.

The road essentially follows along the southern end of the area of Mudlo and Mudlo Nationl Park, so as I continued on my way I couldn't help regretting having the extra day stuck in the tent. There were so many picturesque camping spots along the way. I was so tempted to pull up stumps and spend just another day bathing in the beauty and quietness of this gem of a road.

As I climbed farm lands disappeared and gave way to native forest. Gums and ironwood, coupled with the local fauna of lace monitors, pheasant coucals, black cockatoos and countless of other varieties of wildlife, I didn't feel lonely at all.

After a couple of hours I eventually reached the summit. Stopping for a while to have some lunch, and a much needed cuppa, I couldn't help but soak in the peacefulness of the area. I sat in the shade for nearly an hour just listening to sounds and odours that enveloped my senses.

This was the first time the trailer that I was towing had been on a gravel road. To my surprise it towed effortlessly up and down the hills. It was a far cry from the previous week before leaving suffering the death wobbles behind me.

Along the top it was undulating, more like a large pump track more so than hilly.Views could be seen in all direction of the valleys below through the trees that littered the road side. One more light, but longish incline and then it was pretty much down hill all the way to Kilkivan. There were some gravel bends meandering back and forth across the side of the downward slope. It was a great feeling to just let it roll and enjoy the ride.

Eventually I made it back onto bitumen and followed the now acreage properties as I got closer to town. The road still remained quite and it was only as I pedalled into town via Tansey Road I saw my first car.

I have to say that this road is a cycling gem. I have ridden the Kingaroy to Kilkivan Rail Trail a few times now, and whilst I love it Running Creek Road is up there. The Kilkivan to Goomeri section is not an easy ride, especially for a loaded touring bike and trailer. But I have to say that Running Creek Road beats that section hands down.

Once on Running Creek Road it is only around thirty odd kilometres into Kilkivan. If you were a gravel bike enthusiast, or just someone who likes to get on their mountain bike and ride trails, this road would be the perfect day out. Great scenery, good road conditions and gravel most of the way would make this a perfect day ride. Or you could throw a tent on board and make a weekend of it. It's not hard, but has it's share of challenges. It's quiet with next to no traffic. What more could anybody want? I'll be out there doing this road again, it's a repeat offender as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers guys, and ride safe out there.





Remnants of an old branch line




The morning cloud eventually lifted to reveal clear blue skies














My kind of road

No comments:

Post a Comment