Thursday 7 December 2023

First Trip Back. Fail!

I had been anticipating my return to the adventurous world to be a little more sympathetic. But I was wrong!

I've wanted to take on a particular trip for a while now, one that started from my front door.

The plan was to ride up to Kalpower, QLD. Then onto the BBIRT (Boyne Burnett Inland Rail Trail), and from there we'd see.

The route started from home, Wallaville, and worked up through the back of; Horse camp, Nearum, New Moonta, Wonbah, Geata and onto Kalpower.

The main reason for this route was to ride the Nearum and Goyan Road section. After this, the Wonbah and Geata Roads section was another desired route I had planned to ride.

The day started late, much later than I wanted. I rode about three kilometres from home, realised I'd forgotten something important, went back and well, yeah. (Mistake 1)

The heat of the day had already hit. I was flustered, then became anxious, and that isn't good.

It wasn't long before the Garmin was showing 46C° on the black top. This is of course what I call "Reflective Temperature". Probably not it's scientific name. But it is the temp that we feel, especially when labouring in the sun.

After about eighteen kilometres I found I nice little bus shelter, it was way too inviting.

I wasn't in a rush so I thought I'd stop and call it a day. This was just to regroup, calm down, relax and to start afresh a new day. (Mistake 2. Sounded good in theory).

I had anticipated roughly six days before I saw a shop. Freeze dried veggies, rice, soy protiens and then snacks. The good old snacks...(Mistake 3. What I took as snacks).

I had also made allowances to carry 10.5 litres of water, allowing for 5.25 lt per day. (BIG Mistake 4. The biggest mistake).

Now let's get back to riding...we've scrapped Day 1. When camped, an elderly gentleman pulled up to where I was camped. He saw the bike and stopped for a chat. He told me of a creek, or small river, that had great water and even a platypus. Without checking where he was talking about, I assumed it was the way I was headed. 

My plan was to enjoy a great day of relaxed riding, stop to filter water, eat, rest and continue on. Because of all this I didn't ration, or pay mind to my water consumption. (All this combined...Mistake 5).

Now let's digress from the agony and heartache for a moment...Nearum and Gootan Roads...

This section of road is up there as some of the best I've ridden, especially after all the recent storm activity.

You come onto Nearum Road at the junction of Tablelands and Doughbouy Roads. The first thing you see is a sign saying Local Traffic Only. This is always a concern as I've found often there awaits a locked gate at the end.

After speaking to a local, she assured me you could go through. There were gates but to leave them how I found them.

The roads start as standard road base but eventually turns to a more forestry road. It does follow a creek for quite a way, a bloody dry one of course.

The surface ranges from compacted road base, loose rocky gravel, large rock fillings across creeks, and sandy sections. The 27.5"x4.5" tyres of the fat bike ate this all up.

The route is scenic, running down over dry creek beds, looking out over pastures, tree tunnels, and forest. It has it all and before you know it you're faced with Mount Perry Road. 

This was the end for me, New Moonta. Yes, I made mistakes that I shouldn't have. But out of practice I underestimated a lot of things.

I struggled eating the snacks I took, and even the prior night. My stoma blocked up and well... There are a whole lot of would've, should've, could've but it is what it is now.

I knew when embarking that I had bitten off more than I can chew, but it was also a testing ground for many things. One of which is the Perenial Hernia repair stood up to a heavy bike being pushed up hills. This was my big worry, and now a big relief.

I will make some changes to my dietary supplements, make room for more water, take a deep breath and relax.

Cheers all.



Plenty of pastoral views


Overgrown  


Norco Bigfoot 3 😁 


A beautiful road ahead. Shame the creek was dry.

                      A bit how I felt     

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's a hot time of the year to be cycle touring in Qld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was supposed to cool off. It did,but not enough 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete