Tuesday 5 March 2019

Getting Away...Finally...Part 4!

Day four and the sun was shining, wind was blowing and the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail was awaiting.

I was up relatively early but in no rush. Instead of my Aeropress I just took along some of those latte coffee sticks on this trip. I put aside my coffee snobbery for a short time and just went light. As most who know me know, I'm strictly a black coffee man, but I was a little different on this trip. Yes, morning stops at a coffee shop or cafe was the normal long black, but throughout the day I absolutely enjoy a flat white. The latte coffee sticks were enough to get me started of a morning, but I had to look for more during the day.

Breakfast on this day was not an issue as my plan was to head into Blackbutt, stop at a bakery and fill up there. This I did.

Now on my way and heading for Blackbutt I was onto the BVRT once again. It has been eighteen months since I rode it last and was probably just as excited this time around. This time was different, new bike, different set up and a new section from Moore to Toogoolawah. The trail memories flooded back as I pedalled off in bliss.

It's a reasonably short ride from the trail head at Yarraman to Blackbutt. I swiftly found a bakery and settled in for some tasty morsels. A bacon and egg roll is always a favourite of mine, coupled with a sausage roll and a long black, the morning was coming together perfectly.

Leaving Blackbutt behind I continued onto Benarkin. Benarkin is a beautiful little spot boasting a small store and a free camp. The free camp here has showers and for two dollars one can enjoy a very long hot shower. Of course if cold showers are your thing, they're free. The free camp is rather large but does lend itself to many caravaners.

The next section, Benarkin to Linville is a fantastic ride. For one, it is all down hill. Not massive drops, but a continual - 1.0% decline, this makes for swift travelling. I got caught out along this section last time. Being on the Kona and fully loaded I ended up with a pinch flat. Not this time, no way...now on the Cube with much bigger tyres it was like flying without wings.

The day was another cool one and the shade of this section made it easy to deal with. Sights such as The Fetters Rest, and stopping to listen to the Benarkin Bellbirds chime out their call was not just entertaining, but restful.

As the trail flattens out I rode into Linville and stopped for lunch. Linville is another small stop with free camp, store and a pub. It also has on display the old station and a line of rail cars from the days when the line was open. Some of the cars are open so it was easy to stick my head in for a look see.

After lunch I was onto the next section, to Moore. It is here where the newest section takes you on more of the trail. Previously this section was closed and you had to wandered through back roads and along power line access trails. But now it was all rail trail. I hadn't been on this section before so I was keen to try it out.

My aim was to make Harlin, a small township just south of the intersection of the D'Agular and Brisbane Valley Highways. The sights were fresh and unfamiliar, which is always a good thing. In open and undulating farm land again the legs were kept working. The views of the valley were spectacular, and again ever changing. The addition of flow through grids through gates was a much welcomed improvement from last time. Especially running at the Yarraman end, the ever stopping required to open and close gates was more tiring than the ride itself. But now, that was all gone with the exception of a couple.

Not far out of Harlin now, and I climbed my last steep and long hill. At the top is a lookout that overlooked the small township and surrounding area. It was a must to stop here and take it in. Looking back to the north views of the river shone, to the east, mountains and to the west farm land, and of course to the south, the small village of Harlin.

At Harlin there is a small free camp. It is on the Brisbane Valley Hwy and is open to some road noise. But being small and plenty of grass, coupled with a large shady tree, it made for a more than adequate stop over. Plus the price was perfect...free. It had toilets and water and a roadhouse across the road for conveniences if needed. Also, what else the campsite had opposite it put a rather large smile on my face, a pub. What do you know? I couldn't have planned this any better if I tried.

Unloading the bike and setting the tent up under the shady tree was a speedy task done and dusted. I entered the men's toilet and with washer in hand began washing the remnants of the day's trail from my rather dirty self. I am one who loves my showers and it is not uncommon for me to have at least three a day. But when travelling and free camping showers are a luxury that just aren't always readily available.

I use a Norwex Body Clothe. They are made by one of those "natural everything" companies. I don't always go in for that sort of hype but I have to say, the body clothe works. After a long and dusty day's ride it makes for a refreshing wash and you can get away with using minimal water. Water wasn't my concern here, so a great wash I had.

Now set up, cleaned and changed out of my sweaty riding gear there was only one thing left to do...yes, visit the pub. My intention was simple, just enter the pub and buy two long necks (tallies, or 750 ml bottles), and return directly to the campsite to enjoy a beer in the shade. It's amazing how even the simplest plans can go horribly wrong.

On entering the pub the first thing I noticed was that with all the windows open and large fans oscillating, how cool it was. OK, just one for the road, so I order my long necks and a schooner as a whistle wetter. But...I just hate it when the publican gives you a glass of beer with a big hole in it. It just had to have had a hole in it, a bloody big hole. It dissipated way too fast, it was like it evaporated right before my eyes. True story...lol.

OK, that went down way too well, so why not one more, I was on holidays after all and I needed re-hydrating. So after yet another "one more" I staggered, I mean wandered back to my campsite clutching my take away's tightly in my grip, protecting them with all my being.

Once back at the site I started to enjoy a little time on social media and then thinking about dinner. In the time I was over at the pub a couple had pulled up in their camper to set up for the night. After a hello, and a pat of their dog, the lady mentioned the pub doing meals. WHAT...I'd died and gone to heaven for sure. I decided to finish what I was doing, drink my remaining beer and head across to find out if the information I had been given was correct. Yes it was, it was also Friday so the little pub was much more alive than when I had departed earlier. Raffles, chatter and lot's of laughter were abundant.

I ordered my meal and settled in for another beer. I ordered a mixed grill and when it arrived it was so big I had trouble seeing around it. A plate full of meat, a vegan's nightmare was now sitting before me and I wasted no time tucking in.

I managed to get through the mountain of meat and had a little desert, a Dark and Stormy. This is a can of my favourite rum, Bundaberg Rum premixed with delicious ginger beer. Now that I'd had my fill I wandered, no staggered, back across to the campsite. It was about 9:00 PM by now and the eyelids were heavy. It didn't take long to nod off.

But the night was not as pleasant as I had hoped...

Cheers guys.



Embarking onto The Brisbane Valley Trail


A mixture of surfaces and terrain, but all gravel




Photo opp at the old Nukku Station site


Plenty of old relics in the form of bridges


Magnificent views all round






Linville Station, still standing proudly


Camping and beer, the perfect match












No comments:

Post a Comment