Tuesday 12 March 2019

Getting Away...Finally...Part 5!

It was a rough night at Harlin. When I set up camp there was some road traffic, but not overly bad. Unfortunately there was a traffic incident on The D'Agular Hwy. A motor cycle apparently drifted across the road and went under an oncoming cattle truck. The truck went over and cattle were everywhere. I don't know much more than that.

As the D'Agular was closed that meant the Brisbane Valley Hwy was the main traffic connection. This meant heavier than normal traffic went by where I was camped. That coupled with a light mounted in the tree I was camped under, well enough said.

Morning came round way too soon, but I rose early, and after the drinkies the previous night, somewhat sheepishly. A little rough around the edges I got packed up fairly quickly, and after a morning's heart starter of caffeine I began pedalling my way toward Toogoolawah, my first planned stop for the morning.

The first hill out of Harlin was a ball tearer. It was very steep indeed. I made it about half way up but walked the rest of it. Once at the top an amazing view greeted me. An everlasting view of pasture and grazing lands seemed to reach on forever.

A much welcomed downhill run was ahead of me now, down through private land which had me questioning if I had come the right direction. But it wasn't long before I saw a trail marker. The road surface along this section was almost like a well prepared gravel road, smooth and fast.

Getting close to what is named The Milk Train Bridge I spotted a rider heading towards me as I was climbing out of the small gully. He called out my name and I was a little taken back. But then I remembered that a friend I was meeting up with later had told one of his friends that I was riding south. We stopped and chatted for a while and bid our farewells.

The wind hadn't been overly bad this morning, it even felt like I had a tail wind on much of what I had done. Leon, the rider I chatted to said he had a tail wind What, could that be possible? It was long before I realised that I was riding in behind small hills and rises. Once up on the flat after meeting Leon, the head wind blew.

Not far out of Toogoolawah now and fanging for some breakfast I was about to pass another couple of riders. I've forgotten their names now but they are from Out There Cycling in Toogoolawah's small township. We chatted for about ten minutes and they gave me a suggestion of a good cafe in town. That's where I headed.

The small township was still asleep with minimal traffic and a few pedestrians spotted along it's footpaths. I found the cafe and settled in for much needed sustenance and caffeine. I messaged Graham, the friend I was to meet and he had left Esk where he was riding from. He was going to head north as I rode south and we'd meet somewhere in the middle. Breakfast had I was on the bike again.

Water bottles filled and on my way out of town I crossed over the new bridge and back on the trail again. This section was familiar to me as I had ridden it before. Coming out of Toogoolawah can be somewhat rough and it is also a subtle incline. I didn't push too hard, the headwind was another thing holding back this Old Bum.

Not too far out of town and I heard, "Hey, have you seen an Old Bum?" It was Graham. We had never in person but had been friends via Social Media for some time now. It was great to finally put a face to the name.

We rode and chatted, the days ride only being around thirty-five kilometres for me. There was no rush an not far out of Esk we caught up with another rider heading north. This guy was a tourist and he was heading to Mackay from Melbourne. His girl friend was driving and they would meet up every other day. He would drive some, then ride some.

Eventually getting into Esk Graham and I headed for a nearby cafe for lunch. We chatted for a good hour before departing ways. He was driving back to Brisbane and I was riding to the local Caravan park.

I was planning on stayong two nights in Esk. I like the town and it would have been great to have an extra day to look around. But for thirty dollars per night for an non powered site to fit a one man tent...jeez, I thought that was a bit steep.

Anyway, I checked in, set up camp and then drowned myself in the park's pool. It was shady and cool in the water and not wanting to get out, I just lay there floating around in the water like a stranded ship. Eventually a lot of other people decided it was time for a swim, and I don't people well...lol.

Out and into the shower. This was my first shower for a couple of days and the dust from the trail was deep under my skin. It felt good, and even though it was a rather warm day, a hot shower felt good. After this I walked up town where a six pack of beer found it's way into my clutches. How did that bloody happen?

Back at the park now I sat comfortably in the camp kitchen. The beers getting extra chilled in the kitchen's fridge and I nibbling on some corn chips, salsa and cheese. I'd made the decision to move on the following day, so I spent as much time up at the kitchen charging my battery packs, cameras and phone. I still had a couple of days to go, and free camping, so I wanted as much power as possible.

The night ended in the tent under the stars once again. The Southern Cross bright above, and the moon glowing through broken clouds made for a spectacular night light. It wasn't long before the eyelids grew heavy and I was off to sleep.



Eventually to the top of the steep climb out of Harlin


No milk, or nor train


Ah!Finally Toogoolawah and food


Some rough patches, some good


Set up for the night at Esk


Munchies...

2 comments: