Thursday 8 June 2023

Hopefully The Tide Is Turning

 I know, I know, I know...if I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times...

The past couple of years have seen my blog pretty much non existent, but I plan to rectify that.

It's hard to blog when every day seems to be the same, a non event. But that is changing. As health issues get behind me, fingers crossed this is seeing me become more active once again; the bike being a big part of it.

I purchased a Marin Nicasio back in 2020. It was an end of year run out and was a sizeable chunk of change off the original price. I've wanted to get a gravel bike for some time with the ones on my list being out of my price range, and not quite exactly what I wanted. That was a cromoly steel framed biked with a decent 2 x drive system. So online I went, amd a shopping I did go

The Nicasio came standard with a Claris 2 x 8 drive system, and whilst adequate, I wanted something better. I purchased GRX 810 cranks, an 812 rear derailleur and an 810 front derailleur. The operate the drive system I stayed within my financial restraints and bought a set of 105 eleven speed shifters. I decided to keep the original mechanical disc brake system that came on the bike.

To go with the gravel theme I purchased a set of WTB SX19 MTB rims. This is where I ran into trouble, the rear hub was supposed to be 11 speed compatible. Unfortunately the SRAM and Sunrace 11 speed cassettes didn't fit. I spent months looking for a freehub body that was cend the problem was solved.

Compatible, without success. I was in the process of looking at, at least a new rear wheel when in my box of spares I found two Sunrace 11 speed cassettes that were an 11 - 42 combination. These for some blood reason fit. Don't ask me why, I don't if the other cassettes where being road, stacked higher...but look, in the  end the problem was solved, and to be honest I don't mind the extra gearing.

With that solved I set about stripping the bike down. Everything went smoothly as I continued to rebuild the bike.

All parts from the shifters to the BBR62 bottom bracket went into place as I plodded along with the build.

The GRX cranks come with a 48/31 combination and I found that I could get all gears. The problem being that when I was in 31-11 the chain was too loose. I had to customise the chain length. This took a bit of time taking one link off at a time. I finally got to an optimal length and able to get all gears except the big gears, 48-42. This is OK, I wont be using that anyway.

I did work out that if I replaced the 48 t chainring with a 42 t I would easily get all gears and shorten my chain even further. I purchased a 42 t ring only to realise in my haste I purchased a 1 x ring. It works but changing between rings is not nice and smooth at all. I do plan on doing some touch ups to it with the dremel, and shape it more to a 2 x shape.

With all being said and done, I have to say I'm ecstatic with the bike. I added a set of FUNN 600 mm wide gravel bars to add in the comfort, and it all works, and works. I do need to fiddle with the front derailleur a little, but I am just waiting for the cables to stretch and all break in a little. Re-adjustments will be necessary shortly down the track

So now I have the bike I want, and at half the price of what I was looking at on my shortlist. I took the gamble and it paid off.

So needless to say I am back on the bike, with mixed successes. But I am getting stronger as I go, getting fitter and loosing much needed weight that has piled on over the past couple of years.

Amidst the riding I have a kayak as well and have just finished a week long trip up the Upper Noosa River. This is something that I will continue to do, kayaking is so much like riding a bike. I have a new sit in kayak on order to make away trips paddling more eventful. The current kayak, a sit on top will be my fishing boat. With a 42 lb thrust motor, sounder and some homemade stabilisers it should more than adequate.

I'm currently on a road trip trying out the new bike on gravel roads, although a brief hiatus is happening due to a bout of food poisoning. With some heavy rain expected this week I'll head off at the end of it and continue on my way.

On top of all this a move was planned and executed. We sold up in town and moved to the small village of Wallaville. We moved form a suburban block to a nice little acre patch that overlooks cane fields and mountains from the front, and cattle and feed paddocks behind us. Gone is the traffic that constantly plagued our existence, replaced now by birds chirping and cattle mooing. The new property is on the opposite side of the highway to the entrance of Goodnight Scrub, a patch of National Park that has many wonderous gravel roads and trails, the perfect access to some awesome bikepacking trips.

Along with the move comes the fun of renovating the new digs, an older home this will be a work in progress for some time to come. The kitchen will be our first port of call, then onto the bathroom which desperately needs ripping out and rebuilding.

I also purchased a new, well new to me, van. A 2004 Kia Pregio. A 2.7 lt naturally aspirated diesel, it doesn't do too well at pulling the skin off custard, but will serve well as an on road campervan/bike carrier...you know, for those planned bike trips. The car sat for two years after having the engine and gearbox rebuilt, I think I have the rats out of it. Well at least the rat smell anyway...

I also bought a boat, yes a boat. I.ve wanted one for ages. It is a Quintrex 4.2 mt tinnie that has a Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke on the back. The previous owner added some pods to the transom to help support the extra weight of a fully framed floor, large under floor fuel tank etc. This takes the boat out to 4.5 mt in length, and with it's slightly higher sides will make a great, close off shore boat. I look forward to some great boating adventures ahead.

There is also a new bike on the way. I was told once that if you go fat, you wont go back...lol. The bike is a Norco Bigfoot 3 Fat Bike. It has a a 1 x 11 drive chain, 27.5x4.5 inch tyres and will make the perfect permanent bikepacking set up. I am much closer to Promiseland Mountain Bike park where I live now, so I want the Cube to be a permanent mountain bike. It will help with the constant setting the bike up before I travel. With the Norco it will be just a simple case of load and go, and not trying to fit racks etc to head off. I'll use my existing bikepacking kit, the Blackburn Outpost front roll back, frame bag and cages, and Topeak 16 lt Backloader tailpack. I've also purchase an Aero Spider Rack for the rear it, giving that much needed extra room.

As the Nicasio, Sutra and Attention SL continue to preform wonderfully it has become a case of N+1 yet again, something that wasn't planned...but it is what it is...lol

I do have another operation to face sometime in the not too distant future. The Perennial Hernia has enlarged to a terrible state and is need of repair. This time it will be with a plastic surgeon, so my butt will get a cut and tuck. Hopefully this will be a permanent repair. It will be a about a six week convalescence, so there are some plans I have put on the back burner until I know more. It may be a case of another year written off, but this time with some light appearing at the end of the tunnel.

I am also still cancer free, That is just over three years now, fantastic news.

Well that is about it, and should get you all up to date. I have found my camera so I can write about my Wooroolin trip next.

As I said, I hope this is a turn around, social medias just haven't bee a priority over the past couple of years.

Cheers all, and ride safe out there

No comments:

Post a Comment