Wednesday 6 September 2017

Brisvegas 2.0. Day 1.

Finally, a chance to do my Brisbane do-over. Six days to get it done and a whole lot of enthusiasm to back it up.

I can't really say that this was a Bundaberg to Brisbane ride, but rather a continuation of my faulted trip to Brisbane in January of this year. I decided that instead of retracing my steps from Bundaberg, I would start off from where I finished last time, Kilkivan.

I loaded up the bike and gear into the car on Sunday morning with my loving wife, along with the kids, and we headed out to drop me off. After fitting the wheels back onto the bike and my gear it was getting close to lunch time. I knew I only had about fifty kilometers to go that day, so we had lunch together as a family and bid our goodbyes. So I suppose it was around 12:30 pm when I eventually headed off.

My plan was to head out onto the Kilkivan to Kingaroy Rail Trail from Kilkivan, but I didn't get too much positive information about the Eastern end being open. In light of this I decided to head out along the Wide bay Hwy to Murgon, something I really didn't want to do. But it was Sunday after all and I hoped the traffic would be at a minimum. It was reasonably quiet, with most vehicles on the road giving plenty of room, with the odd exception of one or two.






I arrived at Goomeri mid afternoon and stopped for a quick refreshment, not for long though. But enough to check in with my wife, and make a post to Facebook. I then continued from Goomeri for Murgon along the Bunya Hwy. Traffic had lulled even more but the sky looked ominous. It was long before the sky deepened in blackness and the rolls of thunder sounded like they were on top of me. I pulled to the side if the road and donned my wet weather gear just in case. Well, just in case happened. Not two minutes of being back on the road and the heavens opened up. The storm lasted until I was at the Cherbourg turnoff, probably about an hour. But as I rode into Murgon, the rain subsided and I began to look for one of the reasons I wanted to do this trip, The South Burnett Rail Trail.




As I looked for the start of the trail, I missed it...of course. But a trip around a back street soon found me in the right spot, and westbound I headed. A sealed surface is what met on the Trail, smooth, consistent and not overly too undulating. It was peaceful, no cars and very few people were around this time of the afternoon. I think by memory it was just after 4:00 p.m.




I continued heading South-West stopping to take photos and video footage. This was the first time I had ever ridden on an official rail trail, and it was far from what I expected. I can't rave about the South Burnett Rail Trail enough. As I write this blog the eastern end from Kilkivan has been opened.

The trail itself is divided into two sections. The first being the eastern end from Kilkivan to Murgon. This section is under the control of the Gympie Council. The second section, the western end is under the control of The south Burnett Council. The two councils have received funding separately from State Government and have banded together to build this wonderful piece of infrastructure.


Note: Map divided into two sections.
Red = Gympie
Orange = South Burnett

Whilst the eastern end is not sealed, it is open to horses for use. Kilkivan is also a major center and stop for those traveling on the Bicentennial National Trail, a trail that runs from just north of Melbourne in the south to Cook town in the north, 5,500 km,s in total.

The western end of the SBRT that runs from Murgon to Kingaroy is not horse friendly. Although the surface is great, there are restrictions on livestock throughout this area due to tick quarantines that are in place. That is a shame for those who wish to travel via horseback but I suppose it is necessary.

Anyway, back to the trip. I contently persisted with my travels, remnants of the old infrastructure remain to remind me that this indeed was an old rail way. Rail speed sign and evidence of old rail pieces and sidings, one could be forgiven for expecting a train to come around the next corner.


The scenery along the trail is beautiful, to say the least. The terrain is mostly flat, but there is also plenty of undulation, not overly steep, for you to keep working the pedals. Although in saying that, I have no choice but to declare this section of the trail "FAMILY FRIENDLY". I can't wait to head out again one weekend with the family.

It was getting close to 5:00 p.m. by now, not knowing the trail I began to consider keeping an eye out fora suitable place to camp. Then all of a sudden...pffffttttttt from the front tyre. Damn, a puncture. Well, it was getting close to dark now so I gathered I wasn't going to be too much hindrance on the trail, so off came the front wheel and I casually repaired the puncture. A sharp piece of blue metal, the primary layer for the surfacing of the trail, had punctured through my tyre. Keep this in mind when travelling this section. Even though the trail is more than suitable for a road bike, I would be more inclined to lean towards using a more robust tyre. After all, I have Clements all terrains on my bike and still suffered a puncture. Ok, I will admit, my font tyre is getting a little worn, but still ok, and it had been raining so this would help adhere the gravel to the tyre itself. So I would say that under normal conditions all would be fine.

Anyhoo...by now evening was well truly setting in. I traveled about another kilometer down the road after the repair. I found a perfect spot, virtually on the edge of the trail; and here were no houses around. So this is the place I would call home for the night.

I leaned my bike against a tree and began unloading. The tent was set up, my bedding in place and my hiking fly set up as a lean to between two trees. There was still plenty of cloud around so I was getting prepared just in case.

I had decided to take a folding hiking chair along with me for the first time, I have to say, the extra kilogram was well worth it. Sitting under the fly with the billy on and making some salad wraps for dinner as a cool breeze gentle wafted through the air was wonderful. There was very little noise except for the odd bovine billowing in the distance. Later that night you could here a very faint evidence of vehicle traffic, but you had to listen hard.

I had no phone or internet service so I sat up until about 10:00 p.m. listening to some of my favourite podcasts, gotta love modern technology. My original intent was to blog nightly, but...well...between no service and just the desire to kick back...really, who needs to blog...lol?

So ended my first day's travels with a weary rider retired for the night.

Cheers guys!








No comments:

Post a Comment