Friday 22 September 2017

Brisvegas 2.0. Day 5.


Dawn came with a chilly surprise again. Frost covered the fly of the tent and the air was extremely brisk. I arose about 7:00 a.m. and started getting things together whilst having breakfast and coffee, sweet, sweet coffee.

I knew I had about seventy-five kilometers to get done today so I didn't want to get away too late. But you know how that goes. It was after 9:00 a.m. when I started pedaling down the trail. After leaving Benarkin I was amazed at the richness of the forest, the shelter from the elements you get for some time and a down hill grade all the way to Linville. I stopped plenty of times for photos and had a good rest at the Fettlers Rest. They are railway dogs, set up in the ground to represent those fettlers who had died in the building of the railway.
I had met some ladies earlier just after I left Benarkin. They were on a training ride for some charity ride. I rode with one of them for a while until I got my first puncture on the BVRT. Yes, first.




I continued on in a steady motion and stopped for a drink and snack at The Linville general Store. It's along the Benarkin to Linville section you begin to experience some steep creek crossings. Most are well paved and not difficult, although I would recommend an inexperienced rider to maybe dismount and walk these.


The old carriages lined up on the rail here at Linville are a great reminder of what used to be. In a day where we complain a train travelling at 100 km/h isn't high speed rail, I kind of think they had it better in those days. Sometimes taking it slow is a much better option.



After Linville the country side is mixed. Rolling hills in the distance, open sparse grazing land and forest. The gates begin to give way to chicanes and barriers which makes it much easier, especially on a loaded touring bike. The terrain of the trail also becomes mixed and a lot less predictable as the earlier stage. One moment it is relatively smooth, the next it had me wishing for  more suspension than a Brooks saddle.

As I came into Moore, the next town on the trail, I saw a heap of mountain bikes outside of the cafe on the northern side of town, it was the group of ladies I had met earlier in the day. It is here at Moore that you take the detour to Toogoolawah as this section of trail is yet to be completed. I circled around Moore a couple of times trying to find a sign for the detour. This is something that could be address, as signage through Moore isn't the best. But then again, I could learn to read the map properly.
I caught up with the ladies again and they kindly assisted me to the start of the detour. From there, all I had to do was look out for the small BVRT Detour signs.
There were several times I questioned my self along the beginning of this section. It is mainly as you first leave the road and follow what seems to be a power line clearing along property fence lines.


I found my way through this with no real problems, especially once I noticed the big brown signage painted on power poles...deerrrrr! Once through this section you are back onto roads again. Some sealed, some gravel and some seem to become forest roads again. Whatever the road, the scenery remained amazing.

You come into Toogoolwah along the rear of what I think is a timber mill on Ivory Creek Rd. You notice as you approach town, the trail on your left, and then cross Dingyara St where you're back on the trail again. It runs parallel to the main street.




After I left Toogoolawah and continue south, I don't know if I missed the trail or not. I ended running through a heavily grassed section that had the appearance that it had been cleared. It ran along the eastern side of the old bridge on the southern end of town. It wasn't much but there were a lot of thorns in amongst the grass. I was expecting another pfffft...but gladly it didn't happen.


I joined the trail once more and again, the trail was of a mixed terrain and surface along with the continuing changing views. One of my most memorable things on the trail happened on this section.
I think it was around Coal Ck. As I come up out of the creek crossing I had a phone call. I stopped to answer it leaning my bike against the fence. I stood talking on the phone for several minutes only to turn around to see that horse had traveled from one side of the paddock to the other to say hello. I gave him/her (I'm not that horsey...lol) a scratch on the head, it gave me a sniff and a lick and I walked away to continue my phone call.
After the call, it was just standing there staring at my bike. Hey, what can I say, the horse has taste.


I spent another few minutes with the steed, and the horse, then mounted the saddle and headed for Esk. The thing that get's me is how time flies when you're out doing stuff like this. You just get so caught up in the moment that time just slips by.


I still had about eight or nine kilometers to go and it was beginning to get late. I wanted to get to Esk before dark and the trail didn't let me down. It seemed to smooth out just as I needed it to. My plan here was to get into town and camp at the Esk Caravan Park. I was origianly going to camp, but I decided to soft cock it and get a cabin for the night. It was also a night to splurge out a little, after all I was halfway along the trail and only two more days shy of my trip.

I have to say that the Esk Caravan Park is an exceptional place. Whilst it was full of the Grey Nomads, as this time of year is migration season, they have everything to accommodate everyone from children to seniors. The camp kitchen...wow...puts most pubs and bars to shame. Whilst they have a fully accommodating servery and kitchen, with all the appliance one would need, they also have a covered outdoor area that is magnificent. Timber furniture surrounded by polished timber bar rails around the outside makes you set up in there and never leave. Oh, did I mention the two pizza ovens for you use?
They also have an unofficial happy hour from around 5:30 p.m. where people gather with their byo's. They also have live entertainment some nights. Just great stuff.

It wasn't happy hour at the camp kitchen for me, although I suppose I should have. I ended up at the Club Hotel, or the top pub as it is known. The owner and staff were friendly, as with the locals that had gathered at the bar. There were also a couple from Melbourne traveling up that way for the first time. So I suppose I didn't miss out on happy hour after all.


I staggered...oops, umm, I mean briskly walked back to my cabin around 9:00 p.m. made a coffee and had a great chat with my wife and kids. It was different having a tele to watch, but I soon found out that the t.v. in a cabin does the same thing as the one at home, puts me to sleep.










No comments:

Post a Comment