Monday 18 September 2017

Brisvegas 2.0. Day 2

I awoke as the sun started to rise through the thickets and trees. I looked outside of the tent to see the skies blue with only some snippets of clouds scattered throughout the lightening sky.

I knew I had only about fifty kilometers to do today so I wasn't in that much of a hurry to rise completely. Being overcast throughout the night had made it warmer with no dew to drench the tent and fly, so I just laid there listening to the bird singing in the dawn.

I suppose it was about 7:00 am when I finally rose and it wasn't long before the billy was on an the porridge was simmering. Once breakfast was finished I began to pack up my gear and attempt to get ready enough to embark on the day's journey. I didn't rush with this task so I assume it was around 9:00 am when the Kona was packed and raring to go.

I continued West along the SBRT excited about my first ride on an official rail trail. The trail continued to be relatively flat as clouds started to thicken above. I thought to myself, "I'll just make sure my rain gear is handy". But within the next ten minutes there wasn't a cloud to be seen.

The sky blue, shade from the trees lined along the side of the trail and with a very slight headwind the morning seemed to be getting cooler as it progressed. Hey, I didn't mind cool, it's far better than wet.

I hadn't been traveling along the trail that long when I couple riding approached from the opposite direction. We met in the middle of the trail with hellos and chatted for a good fifteen minutes and they informed me about the trail ahead. After hearing my planned trip they were able to give me a heads up for the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail as well. We parted ways and continued to travel our respective ways.


Remnants of a by-gone era. Wondai Butter factory

By mid morning I was coming into Wondai and thought that I would look for a bakery or cafe for a coffee. As I stopped a gentleman came over and started asking about my bike and where I was headed. It was here that I found out that if I had ridden an extra eight kilometers the day before I could have camped at a designated free camp with full amenities. Yes, toilets and hot showers...the things you learn along the way...lol.


The old freight scales at Wondai

After stopping and checking out the amenities and a small ride around town I found a bakery close to the trail. Coffee and a pie was the order, I scoffed it down and continued merrily on my way.

It is from Wondai that the trail appears to follow the Bunya Hwy with very little deviance. Traffic can be heard, but to be honest, rarely seen. It is also from Wondai that the scenery begins to change as well. The trees seem to thin out and give way to grazing land and crops. The soil deep red with the dryness of the grass set with a background of deep green of the mountains in the distance was breathtaking. All this amidst a clear blue sky, what more could I hope for.



Wondai also gives way to small towns being of closer proximity to one another. I suppose this is the wonderful part of the Murgon to Kingaroy section; the fact that a town is not much more than ten kilometers apart from the next.

Heading pretty well south now, I made my way through the little townships of Tingoora, Wooroolin, and Memerambi before entering via the North Western side of Kingaroy. These little townships are small and quaint and offer as much as a general store, a coffee stop and, oh yes, the great Aussie icon; the country pub. They, like Wondai, off the usual are for free camping with toilets and a playground for the kids.




As I approached Youngman Street (The Bunya Hw) in Kingaroy I pulled over to the side of the trail to check to see where the Showgrounds were. A couple of gentlemen I had passed on the trail earlier in the day came up to the end of the trail. We chattered for around fifteen minutes before I headed south through town to set up camp.

I rolled into the Kingaroy Showgrounds Caravan Park around 2:30 p.m. booke in and began to set up. The people here are friendly and far more than accommodating. As they were expecting tempuratures to drop below zero over the next couple of nights they had me set up in a small hut like structure similar to a small camp kitchen. There wasn't any power as I didn't want or need any, but the amenities were close by and a picnic table was in place in the hut.


After setting up I decided it would be nice for a little walk. I headed up town and found the local shopping center and went inside. I found a good butcher where a sirlion steak was the order. I also found another necessary shop, the bott-lo (bottleshop). The proprietor dragged me inside and forced me to purchase a couple of tallies (long neck bottles of beer) and a fruity little Shiraz. I surrendered to the idea in the interest of good will.

After stretching my legs around town a little longer I headed back to my restful spot and partook in a cold beer, some smoked oysters I had with me, along with some cheese and crackers. There's no need at all to do it tough folks.


 had intended to blog and update things, but it was getting chilly and a little dark by now. The steak was prepared, rare as always, with some vegies and packet pasta. Washed down by a little of the Shiraz then finished with a good strong coffee, it was the perfect finish to an otherwise perfect day.

Or so I thought...





No comments:

Post a Comment