Wednesday 25 October 2017

Ordering On-Line

Even though I try and use my Local Bike Store as much as possible I still order on-line from time to time. Unfortunately my Local Bike Store, the one that I have always used has closed, very sad indeed. The store I used was good, their prices were pretty comparative to on-line purchasing so it was only certain items I would get over the internet.

I love my Clements X'Plor MSO's and have decided to stick with them. The only problem is that they appear hard to source in Australia. I also wanted a new chain to take along with me as well as a top tube bag that will hold my phone so I can use it as a GPS.

I happily found the items I wanted at the cheapest prices and thought, "You Beautie!" But alas, I found out after I paid my money and the despatch notice was emailed to me, that shipment was coming from Great Britain.
This wouldn't normally be an issue, I have used a large on-line store that is located in Great Britain many a time. I have also used a few Australian based ones, one in particular has it delivered to you in two days, another not so fast. The thing is, that there was nothing on the Website to show their location and all indications led me to believe they were being shipped from within my country.

Now, I'm not complaining, well I guess I am...lol, but I find this very annoying. All signs lead to my items being delivered in time, but just. If there is a hold up my trip will be delayed. Yes, I suppose it can be put down to me ordering too late, and yes I do accept responsibility, sort of. But had I'd known that it was being shipped from overseas I would have ordered earlier.

This is the good thing about ordering from your local LBS, you are given a pretty good indication when it will be in. When your LBS gets close to the on-line price without the postage and handling it makes you wonder, "Is on-line always best?" I suppose in one respect all my items were postage free, but what did concern me was that all the items could be shipped from different locations. When this happens this could be a concern.
 I am lucky with my current order that they are all packed and have been shipped together. I did have an experience once with on on-line camping store that items were sent from different stores. Some gear arrived very promptly, the other took several weeks to turn up. The second item was coming from a store and not their warehouse and it was dependent on the store employees to get it shipped. Not only that, it was shipped to the warehouse, then on-forwarded to me. I wasn't happy. I did get a discount code those so there were some kudos to give.

But this experience was from a local warehouse that was based in Brisbane's northern suburbs and the secondary item was from the Gold Coast. What would be the out come if this was to happen with my purchase that is coming in from overseas?

So I suppose my gripe has been voiced. It's just a shame that my LBS has closed. There are other bike stores in town, one is over priced, the other...meh... and the others well if you don't have a BMX don't bother.


So I suppose I am in a quandary, the desire to support local business but the thought of being ripped off at the till, or unproductive outcomes doesn't appease me much at all.

I know that overseas bike stores have a great way of changing with the times, but here in regional Queensland there is a lot to be learned. I also understand that in regional areas they might not have the niche' as in the cities. But being overpriced and under serviced it doesn't do too much to quelch the battle of the on-line giants.

But, I have also noticed that with on-line purchases it appears as their popularity increases so do their prices. I suppose it is a conundrum us cyclists must bare.

Cheers guys, ans as always, ride safe

No comments:

Post a Comment