Tuesday 24 October 2017

Weather Or Not.

When contemplating a trip weather is always a concern. In Queensland where I live we range from such a variety of weather. Freezing cold, to stinking hot, to rain...you name it, no matter what the season we are always in for a treat.

This time of year is a particular concern as we enter into what we call here, "Storm Season". Storm season varies from region to region and can range from drenching rain, to gale force winds to hail stones the size of cricket balls.

The regions I am planning to visit on my upcoming trip can carry the lot. Here and Northern NSW we can experience flooding rain and massive squalls. As I climb the range from Grafton to the New England and move north to the Darling Downs I could face the likely hood of hail stones the size of Ayers Rock. It could be a picnic all the way, or it could be a mental case of a trip, who knows...lol.

But weather is a natural phenomenon that can't be avoided and it can be as unpredictable as a badly worn tyre over a pile of glass. But we can't let that stop us from doing what we love.

The rain itself doesn't worry me, no matter how heavy, well to a point anyway. In the event of it happening in area where I am I will head to higher ground, and if it's flooded I will forget it. Wind and hail are my biggest concerns, there's always a chance if camping a tree bough can come down, and along with hail, can not only hurt, but can kill.

But I am venturing into unknown territory on this trip, and the weather is just another element of excitement. Like I said, although I have concerns I am not overly concerned. There may have to be days that I re-route my planned trip, I may have to shelter it out for an extra day, these are the wonderful dilemmas that face me.

But its not only me and this time of year in Australia, anyone who decides to venture out on two wheeled pedal power is likely to face the same issues that I am. So as the trip gets closer I'm off to buy some waterproof over shoes to help keep my feet dry. I have the waterproof pants and a jacket and a large shower caps is a good and cheap alternative to a helmet cover.

With any rising heat I will tough it out and drink plenty of water and find the shade of a tree if necessary. I'm used to hot weather, we get plenty of it here. With the hail and wind, well, I'll sort that out on the fly, there's not much I can do. Trees make good cover in hail, but if there's lightning or strong winds, under s tree is not where I want be.

Ah well, back to sorting out my gear, looking at a new camera and making sure the bike is all honky dory. I have some new tyres in the mail as I type along with a chin and a new top tube bag for my phone. This will all be fitted next week.

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment