Saturday 11 November 2017

Gotta Love Cycling?

I awoke a couple of times throughout the night to the bashing of wind and chairs on the verandah. The Kona had taken another couple of tumbles as well. But generally the night's sleep was pretty good.

When I woke to the glare of stiffled light coming through the sliding glass door all I coud see was rain and wind. There was no way I was hurrying out into that. I didn't want to stay another night either so I toddled around making coffee after coffee and trying to make breakfast. I was planning on cooking some spam and eggs as a day starter on the verandah, but that was out of the question, except of course I preferred my eggs extra runny. But I chose exploded.


I took time to video a quick vlog and check social media and the clouds eventually ran dry and I was able to leave. This leg was to Glenview so I had already saved myself thirty kilometers from the day before.

I headed out of town, on what was turning out to be a cracker of a day. Even though overcast, breaks of blue shone through and the wind kept things cool. Pretty much like the morning before, but no rain today.

I cycled down McKinnon Dr towards Tewantin and as the wind strength lightened, I was able to make good headway. I stopped at Tewantin for a quick rest and map check and an elderly gentleman cycled up and we started to chat. He told me of his touring days and some of the places he had been. But now he was to old for that stuff...lol. He was content at 88 years old to just cycle around town on an old Giant road bike that wasn't far his junior. I love meeting people like this, and what was to be a quick stop turned out to be a little longer.


We parted ways and I continued for Noosa, then down the David Low Way along the coast. I got to Collum just on lunch so stopped for another rest and some fish and chips. After leaving here I climbed to the topped of the hill heading south out of Coolum, and bloody hell. The wind almost blew me in reverse. It was really starting to rip now, and it persisted all the way down the rest of David Low Way, through Maroochydore, Mooloolaba and down Nicklin Way.



It appeared the further south I got, the stronger the wind got and the legs were really feeling it. Too higher gear and I was pushing to almost a dead stop. Too lower gear and I spun to an almost stop. I couldn't win a bloody trick.

I continued down to Kawana and made the decision to can the rest of the day. I pedalled to Currumundi and that's where I called it quits.

I got a good night's rest and headed off the next morning for Pine Rivers on Brisbane's north side. I got away early and travelled the first twenty kilometers smoothly and reasonably quickly. I stopped at Landsborough for a coffee and a feed of bacon and eggs at a small cafe' just opposite the railway station.

Here I made contact with Coach Jeff who I would be staying with that night. Coach Jeff is a guy that has shown some interst in my escapades, contacted me via my YouTube channel and has had me on his Podcast Show a couple of times, The Cycling Podcast.

After a stomach full I headed south for the big smoke, taking as many back roads as I could. Jeff, along with another guy I know Grahame, told me about a dirt pathway that ran along Steve Irwin Way to Beerwah. Do you think I found it? Not a chance. So I opted for Old Landsborough Rd which had a pathway all the way along to where I wanted to change direction.


From Beerwah I followed Old Gymie Rd all the way to Caboolture, taking in the beautiful sights of Glasshouse and Beerway Mountains. It was a quiet road, narrow, with patient and courteous motorists. The sealed section bends around to join onto another road and follows into Glasshouse. But I didn't want sealed, and I didn't want to end up on Steve Irwin Way (Landsborough Rd), so my obvious choice was to go straight ahead and stay on Old Gympie Rd and hit the dirt.

I thought Cooloola way was rough...lol. That was a four laned highway compared to this, and a little down the track hit the dirt was what I did. Well actually it was sand. All the way down this section were deep pockets of soft sand that managed to hobble me to a stop a couple of times. Well third time lucky they say, for the sand anyway. The front wheel went one way, the rear another. The bike stopped dead in it's tracks and as I struggled to get my foot unclipped in time, onto the side I went. My feet came of the pedals simultaneously, I tucked and rolled and stuck the landing back onto my feet with all the grace and charm of a gold medal gymnist. Brushing off the sand with laughter I continued and met up with a more compatable road surface, gravel then back onto bitumen.

It wasn't long before I was in Caboolture and making contact with The Coach once again. He met up with me on Old Bay Rd at Burpengary, then led me back to his place. A good shower, a snooze, a great feed with a few beers, along with fantastic company and tremendous hospitality was all in a night's fun. It was an absolute ball tearer to catch up with him, and his beautiful wife, in person.

The eyelids got heavy, then the sun rose again, and it was time to get going to my next destination, the Northern Suburbs of Brisbane where I am now. The Coach was coming for a ride with me and decided to lead me out part of the way to where I was going. A word of warning, if The Coach says to you, "I'll take you a flattish way" run...and run far. It wont be much point running for the hills because that's where he's planning on taking you...lol.

But seriously, It was awesome to catch up with him. I made my way to my current destination and am staying with some dear friends of Sharon and I who we have known for many years. They have graciously made their home open to me and I sit here now blogging.

A couple of beers and wines last night, a trip to the markets this morning and just a little time to chill before heading south tomorrow. The bike had a good clean and lube around the drive train this morining and an ample intake of coffee has been eloquently sufficient.

So today I timidly prepare for tomorrow's early departure and approxiamte one hundred and thirteen kilometer leg down through Beaudesert. I also start the climb up through the back of the scenic rim, across the New South Wales border and into Woodenbong over the next couple of days. There will be no emergncy accomodation, no running from the storms to the nearest motel. I will be somewhat isolated and self-sufficient until I drop down thr Copmanhurst and into South Grafton.

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment