Saturday 11 November 2017

It' All Going To Be Fine, Right?

Waking up after a good night's sleep during the previous night's fiasco was pretty damn good. Although it had appeared that I had suffered some shoulder and neck strain from the earlier day's riding. Because of the heat I was uncomfortable and not relaxed at all, I guess just the pressure caused some strain???

The first thing I did when I awoke was to check the weather. If it was going to continue I was just going to have a day in bed...lol. But all was good on the western front and up I shot, had the coffee hot in no time flat and proceeded to pack and load the bike.

The day was overcast and cool but as I was leaving Tin Can Bay a few spots appeared on my glasses. No biggy, all gone in a minute or two. So I continued out through Cooloola Cove and headed for Rainbow Beach Road where I would connect onto Cooloola Way down through The Great Sandy National Park.


My plan was simple, a short fifty-five kilometer day and a good camp out at Harry's Hut, a place I haven't been to in years. But it sounded too simple to be true. I no longer arrived at Rainbow beach Road and the spots came back, only heavier. It wasn't long down the road before I had pulled over donned the rain gear as the heavens opened up. It was only 9:00 am, great.

I wasn't turning back now so progressed up the goat track slipping, sliding and skating my way round obstacles like fallen trees, washouts, rocks and the puddles that pooled to make dams across the road. Well at least I would have plenty of water...just open mouth and swallow.

It did ease off and eventually stop and the dat fined up nicely as I made my through the forests, mountain and some absolutely awesome scenery.

It was not that long before I had arrived at the turnoff to the campsite after traversing the hills and rolling casually down the other side. Ten kilometers to go, the day still reasonably early and all was good...well.

There were a couple of rangers at the turnoff with cameras and I thought they were just out there checking on things after the previous night's storm. It turned out they were there for that, but also to keep the campsite's access road closed due to carnage across the road, trees and live powerlines. There were a number of people who were still in there but couldn't get out, and they weren't letting me in.

Great, another thirty kilometers to ride, just what I wanted. I knew I had a big day the following day so today was meant to be light and easyish. But good news, one of the rangers were empathetic and generous enough to give a lift to the nearest town, Boreen Point.

It just so happens I was passing through here the following day anyway so it worked out well. Only problem was, I was planning on camping. I had already started eating into my emegency money. The ranger advised against camping as there were gail warnings and hail warnings for tonight, just like they had had in the district the night before. The same kind of storms were expected.

Bugger, but I really didn't have a choice, so off to the motel I pedalled. Yet again, I showered, took some imflamatories for my shoulder and rubbed in some gel to it. I lay there snoozing when I was awoken by a loud bang. The wind had whipped up, it was teaming and the Kona lay on her side on the verandah. I raced out to set my bike up as the strong wind was blowing rain into the motel room.

There was a break in the storm however, and I dashed up to the pub for a beer and a good steak. I have a fondness for the pub here, the Appolonian Hotel. You see it is where my wife and I made our vowes many happy years ago. This was the whole purpose of putting Boreen Point on the route.

I no longer walked onto the verendah of the pub and on cue the storm ripped into action once again. I had to wait the storm out now, so no point in going thirsty right?

Anyway, it was a quiet evening and I had a little company for dinner, the owners two little, and old, staffies curled up at my feet as I chomped away at my tastey portion of beef. As the pub was closing and the storm had eased somewhat, I persisted in getting back to the motel. But throughout the night the storms kept coming one after another. But I did get a good night's sleep and the shoulder pain had ceased. I had a full belly from a great steak and a few refreshing ales so I was pretty well a happy little camper...sleeping in a motel.



Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe. 

2 comments:

  1. Great to read of your travels! I'll have a beer at the pub at Boreen Point in your honour when I get there over Xmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Great beer and great food. A typical country pub 👍

    ReplyDelete