Friday 10 November 2017

The Worst Day's Cycling Of My Life.

After breaking camp and looking forward to, what appeared to be a much cooler day I headed off on my merry way. I had another path chosen for the beginning of today's leg and set out to find the start.

I had a bit of trouble here, apparently the trail that I programmed into Komoot no longer existed. This wasn't the app's fault, but yet again the appee. I meddled with the route to find a more direct one when storing it so maybe I should just leave well enough alone...lol.

I found my way eventually and headed off through the scrub to join onto Maryborough/Biggenden Rd which would take me into Maryborough. It was a much better surface to ride than the previous day and I was able to maintain a comfortable nineteen to twenty kilometers per hour. There were no major hills and there was not one car in sight. Just perfect.


I eventually got onto the major road I was looking for and pedalled east through West Maryborough. The clouds were dissipating and the temperature was rapidly rising. It was 36*C by the time I got into town.

I headed for Queens Park on the river where I wanted to rest, fill water bottles and have a snack before continuing. The shade of the park made it seem like entering airconditioning. I hung around probably too long but I really didn't care.



I eventually made my way through Granville on the southern side of town and headed towards Boonoroo. It is a long stretch of straight road that runs along this trek and is known as Boonoroo Straight. It was only a couple of yers ago on this very straight that I was racing. On the return leg a guy in front brought myself and half dozen others down. This only just six weeks after a bad crash on some cane lines in Bundaberg. The scars were still on the mend and had now been re-opened...

Anyway, there was no crash this time, just a continual increase in temp and a strengthening of wind that had changed to being a headwind. Lovely thing about panniers, they make a great sail for tailwinds, but make a hell of a parachute for the opposite.

I eventually got to Marybourough/Cooloola Rd and began to head south. I have driven this road a million times before and hence we face apprehension number two for the trip. A non-existant shoulder and a road that is frequented by the wandering grey nomad and logging trucks.


But the caravans and logging trucks were the least of my problem. The temp now well into the 40's, the sun belting down and heat frying upwards made this, without a doubt, the toughest day I have ever experienced in the saddle. The wind now changing from the east to the south-east, could things get any worse. Yes, I hadn't hit the hilly section yet, it was still to come. I seriously started to look into the forest for a stealth camp site. I didn't think I was going to make it.

I pushed on, starting to walk the many hills that began to raise their ugly heads. There it began, thunder in the distance. I thought nothing of it really, it is quite normal throughout this time of year. A hot day breeds humidity and heat forming clouds and thunder and quite often nothing comes of it.

The thunder seemed to come around behind me and head out towards the sea. I thought it was over, then the lighteneing started and the thunder returned. Now thunder doesn't worry me in the slightlest, but out on an open stretch of road bordered by tall Hoop Pines, lightening is the last thing I wanted.

After a myriad of flashes and rumbles the spots of rain started to show up on the bitumen and I quickly covered the panniers and donned my lightweight spray jacket. Then it fell, and fell, and fell.

By now the temp had dropped from what had topped out at 48 degrees to a now chilly and damp 18.5. From heatstroke to chill, just what I needed. Anyhow, after a while the rain did stop and the cooler temperature did make for much needed releif. It's just that the rain would stop, then start, then stop, you get the picture.

After what I can only describe as an agonising day I saw it, the T-Junction that would soon direct me to my camping spot. Only a few kilometers to go. This rallied in me some excitement and gave re-birth to an otherwise weary body, and there it was, the intersection of Tin Can Bay and Rainbow Beach Rds.

I pulled into the rest area, sat relieved I had finally made it. I pulled my phone out of my bag and as I did, it rang. It was my wife wanting to tell me of a mighty storm that was hitting Bundaberg and to check BOM (Bureau Of Meteorology) for weather concerns up and down the coast. Well I did and I didn't like what I saw. Gail force wind warning, hail warning, severe thunder storms and the list went on.

My trip for the day was not over, it was time to hightail it to better accommodation. The tent wouldn't be enough for tonight. I quickly booked the cheapest room that I could on-line and time trialled it on the fully loaded Kona another ten kilometers. With the wind picking up dramatically the bike was very unstable with the wind pushing me sideways and every other way.

Anyway, I made it, booked in and breathed a sigh of relief, this time for real. I wasn't going anywhere now, the day's journey done. I jumped into the shower and on my exit I heard the pelting down of rain on the roof. The rain was that heavy I couldn't see the other side of the carpark. The wind was whipping up a frenzy. I had done it. I had endured the heat, I had suffered the lightening and rain from earlier, but now, and finally, I had beaten the deluge that was now falling...for today.

Cheers guys, and as always, ride safe.





No comments:

Post a Comment